Thread: Unsure to take

Unsure to take

I was prescribed propranolol 40mg to take in stressful situations after my panics got worse after a car accident last year, however I didn't take any, my panic is not subsiding and seems to be getting worse i'm a wuss when it comes to meds so 3 days ago i took half a tablet, the calm was fantastic, however i felt totally spaced out too so the next day i took a quarter of a tablet (10mg) felt okish most of the day, yesterday I took another 10mg in the morning, was feeling tired and then in the evening i felt good, however when I went to bed at around midnight I hac the worst panic attack I've had in a long time, I've since read somewhere that when propranolol wears off you can get a surge of adrenalin, do you think I would be better to take 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening, so scared of these tablets but they did seem to calm me

Re: Unsure to take

I take these to take the edge off panic. I take 20mg in the morning and late afternoon. This keeps a fairly steady dose in my system but I imagine if I missed a dose I would feel the surge of adrenaline. A lot take them as and when they need them but this way works better for me. My GP said it's trial and error to find your dose.

Unfortunately the propranolol only takes the edge off my physical symptoms. It's best to get to the bottom of them as the drugs just mask the symptoms.

thanks, i might try taking 10mg morning and 10mg late afternoon so theres a constant dose in my system , i have a silly scared feeling it's going to stop my heart all together :(

Propanalol stays in your system for around 6-7 hours and takes 1 hour to work, so I used to take my 10mg tabs every 6 hours but would take my last one in the evening, nothing right before bed. So I would take at 6am, midday and then 6pm and go to bed around 10.30.

I am VERY sensitive to medication, so much I can't take ....When I was first put on Propanalol two years ago it was a different Dr at my GP practice than I usually see. He gave me 40mg. It was horrendous, I only managed two days of taking it and then had to stop. Almost passing out everytime I stood up, falling asleep whenever I sat down, brain fog, confusion.... I got through that difficult period with CBT and Fluoxetine. I stopped the Fluoxetine this Xmas and cue April just gone my panic and anxiety returned ten fold. I went back to the Drs and my GP gave me the Fluoxetine again. A few days later I was having heightened anxiety as a side effect and went back to the Drs. I saw the GP who had originally prescribed the Propanalol and yet again that's what he wanted to give me!! I told him what happened before, he took my blood pressure and said that it was beautifully low and that I would live to a ripe old age, but that he was very sorry and that he had given me far too high a dose. He suggested 10mg or 20mg at the very most.

They do help, they did help calm me slightly, but not enough for me to live a happy life to be honest .......sadly they don't do anything for the mental 'worrying' side of things, as they're only acting on the physical symptoms.

I'm now on Trazodone and must say the difference it's made since Tuesday night has been amazing for me - I want to kiss my GP for suggesting it!
    Last edited by Giraffe11; 20-06-15 at 16:20.

Thread Information