Thread: I have an interview! Help!

I have an interview! Help!

I have an interview on July 2nd and I have never had one before. I have huge social anxiety issues, which stems from a deep fear of failure, so put these two together and a job interview is my worst nightmare!

Does anyone have any tips for calming down or appearing more confident than you are? I have practiced all my answers, but they always come out of my mouth wrong, even if I'm taking to my mirror. I'm very anxious about it to the point I felt very ill today even browsing interview clothes.

Any suggestions?

Re: I have an interview! Help!

I suffer from the same thing - interviews are a nightmare.

The only way I can think of helping is to just tell yourself that if it all goes wrong, who cares, they won't ever see you again anyway.

If you are in a position to be able to hold that state of mind of course?

Let us all know how it goes, though.

Hello
    I always used to be very very nervous before interviews, not sleeping for nights before and in the end the always went better than I expected, it was more anticipatory anxiety.
    In any case, as Soulcatcher says just think that if it doesn't go as you would like it is not the end of the world, so just thinking that should take some of the pressure off.
    Good luck x

Thanks. I'll try my hardest to do remember it's not that big of a deal really. It's practice, even if I don't get the job, that's what I keep telling myself!

Something that always helps me is to think: "I am just here to answer some questions". It makes it seem like less pressure - anyone can just answer a few easy questions

It may also help to print off a list of the most common interview questions and answer them beforehand so you have a general idea of what to say. Too many times I got stuck on questions like "what is an example of a time when you had a disagreement with a coworker" and figured I needed a party line response prepared.

I also like to write down any interesting or unique questions they asked me after the interview is done, then consider them and answer them on my own time. Basically I have a list of pre-answered questions that I read up on before I go in for an interview. That way if I ever hear the question again, I have a general idea of what I'm going to say.

Also - no idea if this works - but I had a suggestion once to work on power poses before you go in (in your car or a bathroom). Then try to sit more powerfully once you get into the interview room. Examples are, when you are alone, sitting up straight, spreading your arms out wide, pushing your chest out, etc. It makes you feel more powerful and can effect your state of mind. When you're in the room, sit up straight, don't cross your legs, stuff like that.

And best of luck!
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Smile Re: I have an interview! Help!

Thank-you, Poppy and MoreOrless for the advice. I've been trying to remember what I want to say, but I get so nervous I say a really random word midway through and have nowhere to take the sentence! I just keep telling myself I am right for the job and hoping some self-confidence will come from my own pep talk. Also, I tend to go the other way with eye-contact and stare, so I need to balance that, haha.

I was once told that if you get too nervous during an interview, imagine the interviewer naked i have zero idea how that would help but if it does please let me know

Eye contact focus on the bridge of the nose if looking directly in to the eyes is hard, they won't know any different. I would echo the advice of soulcatcher71 - you do want the interview to go well, but if it doesn't, it doesn't. Do not put too much pressure on yourself, and remember these people would have done many interviews, especially with nervous people. It's very common for peoples nerves and anxiety to get the better of them in an interview, as i've always said it's not a natural situation and very forced/false so it's no wonder we can feel like this.

Good look and be yourself

Glad to know I'm not the only one who turns up for interviews naked ;-) lol

Thank-you all for the wonderful advice!

Thread Information