Thread: Mole Biopsy Panic

Mole Biopsy Panic

Hi everyone.

I just found this website through my panic of a mole removal I had last Tuesday.

I am 30 years old, athletic, and generally good health male....With a serious case of health anxiety all my life.

In the last few years I have gone through scares for HIV, cancers of the brain, stomach, intestines, lung, and more recently a one month long panic of my testicles. These all seem to be fine now.

More recently I have been worried about a mole about an inch above my right nipple which was for sure atypical as they call it. It was around 5mm or maybe 4.5mm long and had one funny edge which is what I read was a need to go get it checked out. I went to my local doctor and she looked at it and said its most likely nothing but she would refer me to a NHS dermatologist anyway. Just to add this mole HAS been here since I can remember. The oldest holiday photo I have is 9 or 10 years old and its there same shape and size I think.

I was extremely panicking at this point and having visions of myself on a death bed in a few years to come. The dermatologists called and said they can take a look in 3 weeks time. I didnt want to wait and quickly called a private clinic who I just asked if they can get rid of the mole no questions asked.

I went this Tuesday, had the mole removed. She had a look at the mole under a scope of some sort before removal and said it was a "good idea" that I came in to get it removed and that she will need to cut it out and send it for a "biopsy"

The "good idea" and "biopsy" was even more of a reason for me to panic. I asked her what she honestly thinks the chances are that its something bad or that it could have spread after she removed it and she smiled and said "nah i dont think its anything to worry about, it just looks like an atypical nevi, but if it did come back bad you would just need to come in and we would need to cut a bit more off around it" That helped a bit. I paid the £300 charge and left the clinic in panic still.

Ever since I got home I have had doom and gloom all week. She said it will take 2 weeks to get the results.. I have been irritating family members and friends all who have told me its a common procedure and most have had 3 or so removed themselves all which came back fine. They also said that its perfectly normal for a private establishment to say its a "good idea" to take it off as they are £300 better off. And also that they would have most likely had an idea there and then if I had something to worry about.

It still doesnt help much as I am having moments where I shake, shiver, feel cold, tight chested, and out of air over the matter. I am going crazy, I just want to get on with my life.

Any help or resassurance would be much appreciated at this hard time.

Many thanks!

Re: Mole Biopsy Panic

Just like your family said , its normal for a private establishment to say take it off , if they was really concerned about it she would know , i can imagine the fear and panic it is tho and how you bank the words that good you came in etc, As i would be the same and i would be a nervous wreck but im sure if u bank the good words of thats its more than likely a typical nevy, and like they say most skin cancers r over 6mm , i would try not to worry to much positive thoughts and all that jazz

Thank you tmckenzie for your advice. I will continue to think the positive. I go through moments of relief when the anxiety dies down and I say to myself how stupid I am for being in a state of panic over something that has been there for 10+ years and hasn't changed. She also said it was a "good idea" in the consultation room before I actually agreed for her to take it off so I guess that is another positive. And also the fact that we dont know anyone in our family who had melanoma (grandparents had many brothers and sisters).

I have also read a lot of mole related anxieties on this forum which puts my mind at ease to know that others have had the same experience only to find out it wasn't serious.

If anyone else is in a similar situation I find avoiding my morning coffee helps. If I drink it, it will send me into a state of doom, and dark thoughts.

Thank you.
    Last edited by iggyd; 27-06-15 at 13:14.

exactly all what you have said your self should be enough to make u feel better but sometimes you dont take a step back and worry and panic, and go in fullspeed what if its this and that bla bla your fine just £300 worse off lol btu peace of mind is worth that

Hi iggyd, I'm panicking about a few moles at the moment. Can I ask what clinic removed yours for you? I have contacted places in the past but they say I need a consultation first or a referral from my gp. I don't think I can wait anymore to get them removed! I understand your worry

Sure. I have sent you a private message.

Thank you everyone above for taking the time to write back. After 11 days of waiting since the removal I received a letter this morning and it came back as benign without any suspicious features. What a relief.

Beautiful feeling that medical reasurance lol, glad it was benign for you, was sure from the way you wored it, it was fine though from beggining but fantastic to be reasured

Thread Information