Thread: skipped beats/ectopic beats

skipped beats/ectopic beats

OK so, I am 24 and I have this skip beat then a hard thud in my chest, I can go months with out it then something triggers it and I have them multiple times during the day or night, I have noticed that I get a strong urge to burp. I never had these till after my son was born in 09. I've been to the heart Dr and he said I'm fine, I've been to the er so many times and had ekgs done and everything. I do have high blood pressure and anxiety, I dont have any other symptoms than the skip then thud. It so scary, I'm scared imma fall over dead from heart problems. Does any one else have this or anything?? Is it normal?? I and hyper aware of my body and its functions I've been told I'm a hypochondriac by everyone I know.I just need to know others have it also.

Re: skipped beats/ectopic beats

Skipped beats are very common.

Roughly 50% of teens and young adults get at least 1 skipped beat per day. So you can see you are not unusual here.

Feeling them is much less common, which is why most people don't freak out about them as they don't feel them.

Also, even people who feel them may only feel some of them. That is true for me.

What's unusual is that you have high blood pressure at 24.

Have you been stressed while having your blood pressure taken? There is something called "white coat hypertension" which is when the stress of going to the doctor's office creates a falsely high reading.

This must be ruled out if it hasn't already.

Re: skipped beats/ectopic beats

My doctor said that she thought I had white coat blood pressure, but she put me on atenolol and it helps with it but I can tell it lowers it too much, I didn't have high bp till after I gave birth and it comes in spurts, I know that sounds crazy but I came off the med for about a year and a half and my bp was great, then all of a sudden it went up, she also told me that my high anxiety can cause my bp to be high too. Anything to do with the medical field freaks me out, every time I see the hospital I can feel anxiety. Thanks for commenting! Also my weight may have something to do with it also, I hate to admit it but I am over weight, and I do have pcos, which the doc said was strange that I didn't have any symptoms of it as a teen only after giving birth..sorry I'm so long winded I never get to talk about my health issues.
    Last edited by amber1230; 30-06-15 at 00:28. Reason: miss spelling

Thread Information