Hi all. I am currently struggling a bit, and need some help. Every night, when I lay down to sleep, I get this nervous, restlessness feeling inside. The only way I know how to describe it is that it feels like nervous butterflies. Sometimes it comes in waves, and I have to move around or sit up in order to be able to deal with the feeling. I toss and turn until I finally get up and melt a clonazepam under my tongue. I've been taking .5mg clonazepam most nights, which helps a lot. Clonazepam + a warm bath usually does the trick. Once I get to sleep, I typically sleep well through the night with no problems and wake up rested. However, I would really like to get to the bottem of this problem. Am I dealing with Akathisia or some form of Restless Leg Syndrome?

I take 200mg of Zoloft every morning for anxiety/ocd. I have been taking this dose for about 3 years. Before that, I took 40mg Paxil/day for about 10 years. I've been dealing with this restlessness at night for about a year now. Some nights it's worse than others. It only affects me late at night when I lay down to go to sleep. It's not normal anxiety. I know what that feels like, and that isn't it. It's not my mind racing or general anxiety. It feels more like that feeling you get as a kid when you're going to do something really exciting the next day, and you can't go to sleep no matter how hard you try.

I am seeing my doctor this week, and want to go in with as much information as possible so I can have a productive (and hopefully successful) visit. Here are a few things to consider:

1. I've been using an ecig for about a year now. I vape on it mostly all day and night. I started with a high dose of nicotine, but have lowered the amount significantly thinking the nicotine was causing the problem. The lower amount of nicotine doesn't seem to help much, but I'm still not sure this isn't the cause.

2. I don't have the best nutrition. I eat a lot of sugar and don't eat very healthy. Could this be a magnesium or B vitamin deficiency problem?

3. Most benzos DO help, but I don't want to take a benzo every day unless I absolutely have to. Propranolol didn't seem to help much at a 50mg does before bedtime.

A few things I'm considering trying: B-Complex w/ Magnesium, Gabapentin, Mirtazapine, or Clonodine.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Any similar experiences? Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.