Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Power Of Smell

Re: The Power Of Smell

You can grow mint in a small pot outside, MyNameIsTerry, and then you can just pick what you need. It is very invasive, so it's best not to grow it in your garden, as it will out-compete almost everything else. Buy the common mint, rather than one of the speciality ones they sell in the garden centre.

Pick and then tear the leaves roughly, add boiling water and leave for about ten minutes to brew. It smells wonderful, and fresh mint is much stronger and more effective than commercial mint teas.

Oh, and I've just checked, you can grow mint indoors if you don't have a garden.
    Last edited by Cheesemonster13; 22-07-15 at 11:09.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    Very interesting Terry.

I believe the article, and also if one has GAD or a similar illness one can make it up by being extra observant and notice things that other people without any form of mental illness never see or even think about.

By the way I love the smell of freshly laid tar
    Yes, definately and the studies also show that our brain will make something without a smell have a bad one so.

As a kid I always loved the smell of the diesel spills on the road

---------- Post added at 11:37 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemonster13 View Post
    You can grow mint in a small pot outside, MyNameIsTerry, and then you can just pick what you need. It is very invasive, so it's best not to grow it in your garden, as it will out-compete almost everything else. Buy the common mint, rather than one of the speciality ones they sell in the garden centre.

Pick and then tear the leaves roughly, add boiling water and leave for about ten minutes to brew. It smells wonderful, and fresh mint is much stronger and more effective than commercial mint teas.

Oh, and I've just checked, you can grow mint indoors if you don't have a garden.
    Yes, I thought so just like other herbs.

I bet it also tastes a lot better than commercial ones, usually anything homegrown seems to.

Yes, definately and the studies also show that our brain will make something without a smell have a bad one so.

You obviously are going out with the wrong type of girl Terry

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    You obviously are going out with the wrong type of girl Terry
    could have been worse, when I was young sniffing things like that for a high were all the rage along with the mushies

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Yes bad memories can also be triggered by smell (PTSD can include all the senses0. I learnt to visualise including sounds and smells with EMDR. A good psychologist will teach you this. Its a great relaxation technique.... when stressed/anxious I go to my "safe place" in my mind.

Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by SarahH View Post
    Yes bad memories can also be triggered by smell (PTSD can include all the senses0. I learnt to visualise including sounds and smells with EMDR. A good psychologist will teach you this. Its a great relaxation technique.... when stressed/anxious I go to my "safe place" in my mind.

Sarah
    That's reminding me of the penguin in the cave in Fight Club

So, do you mean that you use that skill in a positive way to lift your mood by remembering good things or to remember good smells or both, etc?

There's a point in one of the articles that's me exactly. I like the smell of petrol which takes me back to the 70s (the decade, not my 70s - I'm not there yet) when I used to help my dad fill up the the Austin Princess (for the young ones, that's a car not a member of the royal family). That was when it was always sunny, dog poo was white and the cars never started on a damp morning. Shame I have a diesel now..

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Ha ha ha "white poo" ...now what happened to that?!!

Yes Terry I use it in a positive way... its another tool in my box of tricks to get me through life

I have lavender in the car to calm me when I am travelling.

I love the smell of cut grass, creosote and washing dried on a line outside.

I hate the smell of hops brewing and had to suffer it many times when my Dad used to brew his own beer.

I love the smell of fressias, leather school bags, plastic tiny tears dolls. Babies dusted with Johnstones baby powder.(doesn't smell the same on an adult. Cluttie dumpling.
    Hate, lavender coffee, cigarette smoke, all channel perfumes!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information