Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Power Of Smell

Re: The Power Of Smell

I believe anything that combines more than one of our five senses is more impactful, especially with memory. I have found this with scent, such as aromatherapy, as well as sound, like with music. Like Carnation, I like lavender and was surprised at how relaxed I was when I used some drops in my aromatherapy steam machine. It helped me calm down at the end of the day. When I smell the perfume my mom used to wear, I get teary. I love freshly cut grass, coffee, the ocean, and bacon!! All smells that cheer me up.

With sounds, music can trigger memories more intensely than just thinking of the memory. Also touch, taste, etc.

Lavender and Frankincense are beautiful,they have calming qualities,they have become my security blanket.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Getting into bed with fresh bedding dried on a washing line..... and ironed of course

Just done that SarahH, but I have not ironed.
    Used to, but can't be bothered anymore.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

oooo! Carnation... just iron the pillow cases then........ its lush (Wiltshire speak)

Quote Originally Posted by SarahH View Post
    its lush (Wiltshire speak)
    ...and Barry Island

---------- Post added at 04:35 ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pipkin View Post
    There's a point in one of the articles that's me exactly. I like the smell of petrol which takes me back to the 70s (the decade, not my 70s - I'm not there yet) when I used to help my dad fill up the the Austin Princess (for the young ones, that's a car not a member of the royal family). That was when it was always sunny, dog poo was white and the cars never started on a damp morning. Shame I have a diesel now..

Pip
    Its funny, isn't it? Smelling diesel spills seems to take me back a bit as I used to like them when walking to school.

My GF always said to use smells that evoke positive memories and she has been through depression many years ago.

White dog poo, that takes me back! Wasn't it a chemical in the feed?

---------- Post added at 04:39 ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 ----------

I used to put lavender drops on my pillows too when I first went through all this. It seemed to help. Still got some somewhere. The guy who owns the local healthfood shop recommended it.

I did have a French lavender bottle that you put those wooden strips in. A diffuser I think they are called.

Does anyone have certain foods that they are tempted by when watching certain programmes or from certain memories? I think some of that is smell too but in reverse as you get reminded and then experience it as smell & taste but also as a happy memory.

Before all this I would go through phases of eating tons of wotsits with the same films, coming in plastered and getting a pizza on to certain films, etc. Ahh, positive OCD!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemonster13 View Post
    You can grow mint in a small pot outside, MyNameIsTerry, and then you can just pick what you need. It is very invasive, so it's best not to grow it in your garden, as it will out-compete almost everything else. Buy the common mint, rather than one of the speciality ones they sell in the garden centre.

Pick and then tear the leaves roughly, add boiling water and leave for about ten minutes to brew. It smells wonderful, and fresh mint is much stronger and more effective than commercial mint teas.

Oh, and I've just checked, you can grow mint indoors if you don't have a garden.
    So, do you grow peppermint or is the common mint the same in treating IBS? I've only ever seen peppermint when I've looked for remedies for it.

I used to eat those awful kebabs when I was a teenager Terry.
    There would be a long queue for a 'Donna' after the pub had closed.
    Another one was cheese and crackers, probably to soak up all that booze.

I used to really go for a pizza slice from the kebab shop when I had been out drinking. I never had kebab's much. I remember having a burger from one of those mobile stand things and being a bit off the next day and had a sore throat for some reason.

So, do you grow peppermint or is the common mint the same in treating IBS? I've only ever seen peppermint when I've looked for remedies for it.

Sorry, MyNameIsTerry, I meant peppermint when I wrote common mint. It's only that the garden centres sell different types of mints now, and someone told me some of the variations aren't as easy to grow.

I grow peppermint, and I think it might even have been one of those pots that you get in the supermarket. I just put it in a bigger pot, and keep it by the back door.

Apparently mint is a natural analgesic!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information