Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KLONOPIN OR BUSPAR ?

KLONOPIN OR BUSPAR ?

any one tried either of these anti anxiety medicines?

hello
    yes im on klonopin and i also tried buspar for me anyways the klonopin worked for me the buspar had no results but we are all different.best to ya.............linda[8D]

Hi Frankie,

I took Buspar for a few months. Firstly at a low dose (5m twice a day) which had little or no effect. My Doc upped my dose to 10mg 3 times a day. This did have an effect, but made my head feel a little odd. I stopped taking it a few days later, but in fairness I suppose I didn't really give it a chance to settle down.

Krakers.

Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, Klonopin is only prescribed in the UK for seizures, its other use, not for panic attacks even though I've read many posts saying how well it works. If it was available it would be definitely something I'd try.

So, assuming the info I've read is true, the only way to get hold of it would be to purchase it via an online pharmacy which means you won't be properly monitored and is also illegal without a prescription which you can't get...

As for Buspar RemedyFind only gives it 2.9/10 for panic & agrophobia compared to 8.2 for Klonopin, 8.3 for Xanax and 5.6 for Celexa/Citalopram.

http://www.remedyfind.com/treatments/63/2148/ is a great site as each treatment is judged and commented on by suffers.

Marc

Hi Marc - was hoping it was available in the UK. I've been on the look out for meds that might help my situation and Klonopin (Clonazepam) looks like it may well help me. My doc won't prescribe diazepam becasue he's worried about additction / abuse. Thought I may be able to talk him round to this one given its shorter half life, lower dose and longer potential for continued efficacy.

Will let you know if it is prescribable at my next visit (likely to be monday now).

Krakers.

Hi

That seems to be the unfortunate thing in the UK, as Diazapines have the potential to be abused by people mixing them with alcohol Doctors are discouraged from prescribing them even if they would benefit deserving patients. Shame that the two most effective drugs for PAD are Xanax which you can only get on private prescription and Klonopin which I believe you can’t get at all. But do let me know what your doc says.

Remember that 1mg of Klonopin is equal to about 10mg of Diazapam so is only a lower dose weight wise, although they may work slightly differently, for PAD 2-3mg of Klonopin seems to be a common dosage with the minimum theraputic dose being 1mg.

If you can't get Klonopin you could try and get Xanax which kills PA's dead in their tracks and can also be used on a as required basis which, assuming as required isn't every day but once a week or less, would mean you wouldn't become dependent on it.

You don’t become addicted to these drugs unless you abuse them, you can become dependent which isn’t the same thing. A dependency is basically where your body gets used to the drug, addiction is when you crave it.

Marc

Re: KLONOPIN OR BUSPAR ?

Addiction and dependency are two sides of the same coin.
    Addiction occurs when ones dependency is intense and the drug must be had to restore a sense of psychological balance.
    Dependency is a psychological reliance on the effect of the drug.
    The body becoming used to a drug is known as tolerance. When the body develops tolerance to a drug, its effect is usually lessened [as with benzodiazepines].

Busparine may work if yous lucky and safe with none side effects

Klonopin will poop out after about 3 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by lebonvin View Post
    Busparine may work if yous lucky and safe with none side effects
    While often more benign than ADs, buspirone (Buspar) can trigger many of the same side-effects. Its main problem is it only works for a relative few and then only for GAD and maybe social anxiety. I've yet to come across anyone with PD, PTSD, or OCD who derived any benefit. But it will often increase the effectiveness of SSRIs and reduce the severity of some of their side-effects too. It also has a proven track record for reinvigorating pooped out SSRIs and SNRIs.

Klonopin will poop out after about 3 weeks
    While tolerance to BZD sedation usually develops within 2-3 weeks, it is rare for tolerance to the anxiolytic response, which is mediated by different binding sites, to develop that quickly, and some believe it never does. Most with anxiety don't escalate their benzodiazepine over time, but reduce it. Even some of the BZDs severest critics admit anxiolytic tolerance is less of an issue than sometimes claimed, for example:

"The typical pattern of a drug dependence syndrome, with drug seeking behaviour, rapid tolerance, and escalation of dosage, is rare (according to Marks's calculations, one in every 5 million patient months "at risk")" Benzodiazepines on trial

The bigger issue with BZDs is their negative impact on hippocampal neurogenesis and the onset of depression this may trigger.

Interesting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information