Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really worried now...angina?

Really worried now...angina?

Hi. Posted a few weeks ago re angina worries and things seemed a it better. CBT is ongoing but no affect yet....when IBS bad don't seem to worry about chest discomfort but just been rough playing with the dog for a few mins and now she's gone home with my son my chest discomfort started...not quite pains but bit worn out feeling and and ache in that region and so could that really be a sign that it is angina? I can walk up and down 3 flights of stairs fine but little episodes like this scare me. I am illness phobic and getting worse the older I get...58 now...no genetic history of heart disease or BP probs and had ECG and Bloods and X-ray about 18 months ago and all ok....really frightened of tests and outcomes...always default heart bypass which I will never have....
    Last edited by Justanutter; 02-07-15 at 18:54. Reason: Spelling

Re: Really worried now...angina?

Hi Justanutter

To be honest, the only way of knowing if this is angina is to see a cardiologist and undergo an excercise stress test - where you will walk on a treadmill while your ECG is recorded. For angina a resting ECG may not show anything so it is normally an exercise ECG that they do for this. Was it specifically for Angina symptoms you were tested for before when you were tested?

No one on this site can provide you with a diagnosis or reassure you about what you are experiencing. So, although I know the idea makes you nervous, that really is the only way to know for sure.

Chest pain and tightness is common for anxiety suffers, but due to your age - and the fact that none of us are medical professionals, the only responsible thing anyone here can say is to go and get yourself checked out.

One assurance I can give you is that bypass surgery is NOT the only treatment for coronary artery disease (if that were what was causing it). There are both medications and other much less invasive procedures that are often used to take preventative measures in many cases.

Take a positive step and get it checked. Sending positive vibes

Frenchy is right. In fact, most cases of coronary artery disease can be reversed simply with dietary change and exercise. However, that's jumping the gun a bit, and if you suspect angina, you really should see your GP as they'll know best whether or not the pain is coming from your heart.

All the best

Thank you for responding. Frenchy, I went to A&E with chest pain so they did ECG and bloods etc which were all normal. Have been like this for about 18 months on and off but HA is really bad nowadays and I am too scared of tests like angiogram. Plus, read that cardiologists are too ready to do all these invasive tests when they can be so dangerous and risky. I know 2 people who went for walking tests and ended up with stents... I had a walking test 2 years ago.

I honestly don't believe that cardiologists in the NHS are carrying out unnecessary and risky tests, why would they? These things are closely regulated for need.

The only thing is, you live with the constant fear that you have and detracts so much from your quality of life or you have tests that will most likely put your mind at rest, or possibly identify a problem that can be addressed.

I wish you peace of mind.

I have angina. I have nitro for any episodes. It's not the most pleasant of ailments but manageable. I'm not a doctor but if you're able to exert yourself (climb three flights of stairs) without symptoms, it's not angina.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I'm curious, what causes angina, we see it in movies but other than you take nitro or die it is not portrayed well and probably not even right. It is a common fear because of the movies. I have high blood pressure and that gets me wondering.

Angina is essentially a reduced flow of blood to the heart. Not enough to cause a heart attack but enough to cause pain. In some cases of coronary artery disease, it can be sporadic and only occurs when over exerting. In other cases it can be chronic and slow release long acting nitro is needed.

I have a script I keep with me in case I feel pain. I've have to use it maybe once a month at this point. I treat it by eating right and exercising (I walk a few times a week).

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you. Sounds like the movies exaggerate for the drama.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJules View Post
    Thank you for responding. Frenchy, I went to A&E with chest pain so they did ECG and bloods etc which were all normal. Have been like this for about 18 months on and off but HA is really bad nowadays and I am too scared of tests like angiogram. Plus, read that cardiologists are too ready to do all these invasive tests when they can be so dangerous and risky. I know 2 people who went for walking tests and ended up with stents... I had a walking test 2 years ago.
    The people with stents should thank their lucky stars that the blockages were found and stents inserted before they had heart attacks.
    That's the idea behind the tests.
    My wife had the same.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information