Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EMDR therapy

Re: EMDR therapy

Was really glad was here above as EMDR has just been mentioned on the Anxiety Guru podcast.
    He seemed to poo poo general Talking Therapy for anxiety but he had theory that EMDR might be a validated Psychotherapy that may provide help for anxiety even where there isn;t an obvious traumatic incident.

I'm not sure how prevalent EMDR is in the UK though.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

In my area EMDR is in the NHS. Having had it twice in the last 15 years I am nit so sure it would work for general anxiety as it is specific to a traumatic event.

Sarah

The research on EMDR therapy, in addition to that on trauma and PTSD, includes its efficacy with generalized anxiety disorder, treatment of distressful experiences that fail to meet the criteria for PTSD, dental phobia, depression, body dysmorphic disorder, chronic phantom limb pain, panic disorder with agoraphobia, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and peer verbal abuse.

There are many EMDR therapists in the UK! You can find them here by Googling EMDR Europe.

As a recently retired psychologist, I used EMDR therapy as my primary psychotherapy treatment and I've also personally had EMDR therapy for anxiety, panic, grief, and “small t” trauma. As a client, EMDR worked extremely well and also really fast. As an EMDR therapist, and in my (now retired) role as a facilitator who trained other therapists in EMDR therapy (certified by the EMDR International Association and trained by the EMDR Institute, both of which I strongly recommend in an EMDR therapist) I have used EMDR therapy successfully with panic disorders, PTSD, anxiety, depression, grief, body image, phobias, distressing memories, bad dreams, and many other problems. It's a very gentle method with no significant "down-side" so that in the hands of a professional EMDR therapist, there should be no freak-outs or worsening of day-to-day functioning.

One of the initial phases (Phase 2) in EMDR therapy involves preparing for memory processing or desensitization (memory processing or desensitization - phases 3-6 - is often what is referred to as "EMDR" which is actually an 8-phase method of psychotherapy). In this phase resources are "front-loaded" so that you have a "floor" or "container" to help with processing the really hard stuff, as well as creating strategies if you're triggered in everyday life. In Phase 2 you learn a lot of great coping strategies and self-soothing techniques which you can use during EMDR processing or anytime you feel the need. This phase is as essential as every phase of the standard EMDR therapy protocol!

In phase 2 you learn how to access a “Safe or Calm Place” which you can use at ANY TIME during EMDR processing (or on your own) if it feels scary, or too emotional, too intense. One of the key assets of EMDR therapy is that YOU, the client, are in control NOW, even though you weren’t in the past, during traumatic events and/or panic/anxiety, or whatever disturbance(s) on which you’re working. You NEVER need re-live an experience or go into great detail, ever! You NEVER need to go through the entire memory. YOU can decide to keep the lights (or the alternating sounds and/or tactile pulsars, or the waving hand, or any method of bilateral stimulation that feels okay to you) going, or stop them, whichever helps titrate – measure and adjust the balance or “dose“ of the processing. During EMDR processing there are regular “breaks” and you can control when and how many but the therapist should be stopping the bilateral stimulation every 25-50 passes of the lights to ask you to take a deep breath and say just a bit of what you’re noticing, anything different, any changes. (The stimulation should not be kept on continuously, because there are specific procedures that need to be followed to process the memory). The breaks help keep a “foot in the present” while you’re processing the past. Again, and I can’t say this enough, YOU ARE IN CHARGE so YOU can make the process tolerable. And your therapist should be experienced in the EMDR therapy techniques that help make it the gentlest and safest way to detoxify bad life experiences and build resources.

Grounding exercises are essential. You can use some of the techniques in Dr. Shapiro's new book "Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR." Dr. Shapiro is the founder/creator of EMDR but all the proceeds from the book go to two charities: the EMDR Humanitarian Assistance Program and the EMDR Research Foundation). The book is an easy read, helps you understand what's "pushing" your feelings and behavior, helps you connect the dots from past experiences to current life. Also gives lots of really helpful ways that are used during EMDR therapy to calm disturbing thoughts and feelings.

Pacing and dosing are critically important. So if you ever feel that EMDR processing is too intense then it might be time to go back over all the resources that should be used both IN session and BETWEEN sessions.

Many organizations, professional associations, departments of health of many countries, the US Dept. of Defense, and the VA, all have given their "stamp of approval" to EMDR therapy. There are 35 randomized controlled (and 20 nonrandomized) studies that have been conducted on EMDR therapy in the treatment of trauma, and many more on other psychological and physical conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by drpattijane View Post
    The research on EMDR therapy, in addition to that on trauma and PTSD, includes its efficacy with generalized anxiety disorder, treatment of distressful experiences that fail to meet the criteria for PTSD, dental phobia, depression, body dysmorphic disorder, chronic phantom limb pain, panic disorder with agoraphobia, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and peer verbal abuse.

There are many EMDR therapists in the UK! You can find them here by Googling EMDR Europe.

As a recently retired psychologist, I used EMDR therapy as my primary psychotherapy treatment and I've also personally had EMDR therapy for anxiety, panic, grief, and “small t” trauma. As a client, EMDR worked extremely well and also really fast. As an EMDR therapist, and in my (now retired) role as a facilitator who trained other therapists in EMDR therapy (certified by the EMDR International Association and trained by the EMDR Institute, both of which I strongly recommend in an EMDR therapist) I have used EMDR therapy successfully with panic disorders, PTSD, anxiety, depression, grief, body image, phobias, distressing memories, bad dreams, and many other problems. It's a very gentle method with no significant "down-side" so that in the hands of a professional EMDR therapist, there should be no freak-outs or worsening of day-to-day functioning.

One of the initial phases (Phase 2) in EMDR therapy involves preparing for memory processing or desensitization (memory processing or desensitization - phases 3-6 - is often what is referred to as "EMDR" which is actually an 8-phase method of psychotherapy). In this phase resources are "front-loaded" so that you have a "floor" or "container" to help with processing the really hard stuff, as well as creating strategies if you're triggered in everyday life. In Phase 2 you learn a lot of great coping strategies and self-soothing techniques which you can use during EMDR processing or anytime you feel the need. This phase is as essential as every phase of the standard EMDR therapy protocol!

In phase 2 you learn how to access a “Safe or Calm Place” which you can use at ANY TIME during EMDR processing (or on your own) if it feels scary, or too emotional, too intense. One of the key assets of EMDR therapy is that YOU, the client, are in control NOW, even though you weren’t in the past, during traumatic events and/or panic/anxiety, or whatever disturbance(s) on which you’re working. You NEVER need re-live an experience or go into great detail, ever! You NEVER need to go through the entire memory. YOU can decide to keep the lights (or the alternating sounds and/or tactile pulsars, or the waving hand, or any method of bilateral stimulation that feels okay to you) going, or stop them, whichever helps titrate – measure and adjust the balance or “dose“ of the processing. During EMDR processing there are regular “breaks” and you can control when and how many but the therapist should be stopping the bilateral stimulation every 25-50 passes of the lights to ask you to take a deep breath and say just a bit of what you’re noticing, anything different, any changes. (The stimulation should not be kept on continuously, because there are specific procedures that need to be followed to process the memory). The breaks help keep a “foot in the present” while you’re processing the past. Again, and I can’t say this enough, YOU ARE IN CHARGE so YOU can make the process tolerable. And your therapist should be experienced in the EMDR therapy techniques that help make it the gentlest and safest way to detoxify bad life experiences and build resources.

Grounding exercises are essential. You can use some of the techniques in Dr. Shapiro's new book "Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR." Dr. Shapiro is the founder/creator of EMDR but all the proceeds from the book go to two charities: the EMDR Humanitarian Assistance Program and the EMDR Research Foundation). The book is an easy read, helps you understand what's "pushing" your feelings and behavior, helps you connect the dots from past experiences to current life. Also gives lots of really helpful ways that are used during EMDR therapy to calm disturbing thoughts and feelings.

Pacing and dosing are critically important. So if you ever feel that EMDR processing is too intense then it might be time to go back over all the resources that should be used both IN session and BETWEEN sessions.

Many organizations, professional associations, departments of health of many countries, the US Dept. of Defense, and the VA, all have given their "stamp of approval" to EMDR therapy. There are 35 randomized controlled (and 20 nonrandomized) studies that have been conducted on EMDR therapy in the treatment of trauma, and many more on other psychological and physical conditions.

THIS IS A GREAT EXPLANATION OF EMDR. I this a good idea would be for you to post this under the heading "EMDR..how it works" so people who "search" can find it.

I still use the "safe place" to relax myself on bad days.

Great post

Quote Originally Posted by SarahH View Post
    THIS IS A GREAT EXPLANATION OF EMDR. I this a good idea would be for you to post this under the heading "EMDR..how it works" so people who "search" can find it.

I still use the "safe place" to relax myself on bad days.

Great post
    Yes, it would be. The doctor seems to add a great level of detail like this on any EMDR threads she sees so there's a fair bit around but it would be good to have something in a thread of it's own for anyone searching as people do ask about it more & more.

Out of interest Sarah, how did you access this on the NHS? Was it the Level 4 mental health teams because I can't remember seeing IAPT offering this?

Both times through the mental health team I was under after bad times with my PTSD.
    Its readily available on the NHS now as its a recognised treatment.

sarah

Hi Sara - mind if I ask what part of the country your in? I have been trying to find a EMDR therapist private as I wasn't aware of it being on the nhs. I've been
    Told I have PTSD with dissociation/immobilization and am seeing a psychiatrist who's taught me about the therapy but hes not able to help. Also looking for sensorimotor psychotherapy. I've spoke with Benjamin fry from Khiron house in London I'm trying to raise the funds to attend his in patient home in oxfordshire.
    I recommend buying a copy of his autobiography it's a excellent read and you like me will probably relate to his illness.
    I would definitely do this therapy if I was you.

If anyone can help me find a therapist with experience with EMDR & sensorimotor psychotherapy in the Cheshire area I would be highly greatfull!

---------- Post added at 20:41 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1494...clL&ref=plSrch

Fantastic read and a great insight in to therapy to treat with anxiety and trauma. Not a lot of therapists are trained in this sort of therapy - my dr himself today held his hand up and said he hasnt a clue about our illness he just like most Drs know it only as "anxiety" and are not trained in such things as this - despite him working in mental health hospitals in the past. This book is a great insight in to anxiety is really to be treated and cured.
    I read this book and every description of his illness I kept saying "that's me"
    Grab a copy it will help with your illness I promise xx

Is the above question for me?

Sarah

Yes, Sarah, I think Ollie was asking off the back of the answer you gave to my question. Thanks for that. I thought that might be the case so we are talking the Level 4 style teams on the NICE guidance because EMDR doesn't get a mention in their guidelines but the intensive therapies at that level are largely left out of the guidelines from what I've seen.

But then NICE last reviewed PTSD in 2005 where they recommended further research into it https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/CG2...ecommendations

It sounds an interesting therapy.

---------- Post added at 09:53 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    Was really glad was here above as EMDR has just been mentioned on the Anxiety Guru podcast.
    He seemed to poo poo general Talking Therapy for anxiety but he had theory that EMDR might be a validated Psychotherapy that may provide help for anxiety even where there isn;t an obvious traumatic incident.

I'm not sure how prevalent EMDR is in the UK though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahH View Post
    In my area EMDR is in the NHS. Having had it twice in the last 15 years I am nit so sure it would work for general anxiety as it is specific to a traumatic event.

Sarah
    The question might be whether it needs to be a traumatic event in memory or a highly significant one. We form core beliefs based on events and a strong one doesn't have to be traumatic to make an impact on how we think. So, would it be used to reach back to that memory and change how we view it?

I am in Wiltshire and first had EMDR in 2010 on the NHS. My Clinical Psychologist was trained in the method. I then had it again in 2013 from the same psychologist. We have an excellent Mental Health system in my area.
    The first was for trauma from my job and from a massive trauma when I was a teenager.
    The second was to deal with my sudden admission to a Psychiatric Unit when my anxiety became overwhelming. BUT ALL my PTSD/anxiety stems from the trauma I suffered as a teenager (a car crash which killed 4 people). That experience was "suppressed" and exploded into my brain/life 20 years later when I was exposed in my job as a Police Officer to some horrific scenes (which I won't go into here). Basically these events triggered the PTSD. Dealing with the initial "trauma" is essential for EMDR to work.
    But little "T"s can build up in a brain and can also be dealt with using the same techniques which are explained brilliantly on this thread.
    I can only say that if you are referred by your GP to the mental health services in your area I would be VERY surprised if EMDR is not available to you as it the recommended treatment for PTSD.#
    Sarah

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information