Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Migraine aura

Migraine aura

I suffer from migraines, maybe a few a year. I usually never get any kind of aura before them.

Today I woke up with a headache, felt just like a tension headache as it was all over my head and I have been stressed lately. Its also been very hot here lately too. The headache mostly went away though.

About 2 hours ago, I was in the car (as a passenger) and I noticed a dark dot in my vision. I thought it was just from looking at something reflective and it was a sun spot but then I noticed it got bigger and I couldn't read half of reg plates or signs and then flashing lights and zig zags appeared. They took over my whole vision. It lasted about 15/20 mins. I was absolutely terrified. I managed to get an emergency GP appointment and he checked my eyes and BP and all is well. He said it was a classic migraine aura and he gets the exact same.

It scared the crap out of me. I still don't feel right. My vision is back to normal but I feel on edge now. Still have no headache really but feel sick.

Do you guys ever have an aura like this? Did it scare the crap out of you too?

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

Re: Migraine aura

Hi Gingerfish!

I have suffered with migraines for as many years as i care to remember!

I get an aura before every single one i have, thats how i know one is coming on :(

With me i get more of a zig zag in my vision and like you had i cannot read anything properly, find numbers/letters missing etc. From what i have read and what my GP has told me aura is something that is very common with migraine sufferers but i know that it can be very scary, i would imagine even worse if you are driving!

I also get the sickness with mine too, i find my migraine doesn't lift until i have actually been sick and once i have things start to improve for me.

Hope you get over the attack soon, they really are the pits!

I definitely know what you mean about missing letters and numbers when you look at them. That was my first sign. I noticed I could only see the '00' on the clock instead of the full '1:00' then the flashing and zig zags came about 5/10 mins after that.

I still have no pain, maybe a kind of burning and tense feeling in my head and neck. The headache I had this morning was a lot worse.

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

Dr Claire Weekes.

It's horrible isn't it, even when my headache has subsided i get what i call a 'hangover' feeling, i just feel exhausted and still not 100 percent right, it takes me a good day to get over a migraine episode.

I have no pain but feel quite sick and dizzy. I have a fear of puking so I'm drained from the anxiety that comes from that :(

Dr Claire Weekes.

yep its horrible i had one a month ago and i posted on here about it . Its frightening and even though i have had them since being 25 and im now 50 i still get petrified when i have one . I hate it that i can't see things properly and only see half of people and objects and the horrible zig zags .

Wish there was a cure but i haven't found one yet no matter what i try .

My wife had a migraine last week when we were on holiday.

She was in a shop and started getting zigzags and couldn't see a lot of peripheral elements in her vision. This led onto a whole evening and following afternoon stuck in the hotel room with her about to vomit and refusing any light...

She's perfectly fine now, though

I find since I think they are tied to anxiety that if I focus on them they last longer. Any one else notice this.

I got migraines for years and years before I got my first aura. The first time was just like a sunspot and the headache that followed wasn't too bad. The second was more pronounced blindness and a headache so bad I had to go to the ER. Got it checked by a neurologist and everything was fine, just scary. Thankfully my "usual" migraines aren't this way and these odd ones are few and far between.

I think stress/anxiety can cause them. I find sleeping funny does as well.

Hope you get to feeling better about it I know how hard it is not to fret.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by Davit View Post
    I find since I think they are tied to anxiety that if I focus on them they last longer. Any one else notice this.
    I think you're right because the last one i had wasn't as bad as previous ones simply because i was a lot calmer during it and i think this lessened the symptom .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information