Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone write ?

Does anyone write ?

Just a post to see whether anyone had attempted to write a piece of work and how did it go ? did you publish it ?

Re: Does anyone write ?

Do you mean related to anxiety or just in general?

Just in general

I write poetry and a few have been about anxiety. The only trouble is that my anxiety-less readers just don't get them.

I have written a novel in the drama genre and am currently writing the sequel to it. I also write blogs on mental health, the link is in my signature.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

I wouldn't mind having a look at your poetry fish-man.

Ah, good to hear Rennie. I was asking because I'm at the start of writing a novel now. I was just wondering how you plan it all out/if you do and also do you get frustrated too ? lol

Have you published your novel ? How many words did you write ?

The word count was 115,000 words, which I think translates into a big-ish book. I couldn't tell you how many pages that would be because it varies on font size. I want to read it through one last time before submitting it to literary agents because I have not been able to let go of it yet.

I believe the most important thing to plan are your characters. You need to know them better than most people you know in real life. You want to know the obvious things like height, build, likes, dislikes and so on but you should also plan what their fears are, what their bedroom looks like, what their bins have in them - these plan details like personality traits (laziness, perfectionist, etc). You want them to be as human as possible, avoid Mary-Sue's (the most 'perfect' or 'unperfect' character) because readers cannot connect to them. You want characters that have a mixture of strengths and weaknesses.

I have only planned storylines if I'm trying to weave plots and sub-plots together. Novels generally have a major plot and several sub-plots whereas short stories tend to have only one plot. I bought a whiteboard so I could plan plots, it enables me to scribble, draw lines, rub things out all within eyesight from my laptop.

I say to first time writers to not get bogged down on planning. If you have a scene in mind then just write it, forget planning it. And don't write in chronological order, I rarely start with chapter one, start writing what you have the inspiration to write, whether if it's that big climax or a conversation between characters.

A word of warning. Your first draft will never be your finished product. You will end up writing two or three other drafts before you've settled on something you like. This means that, yes, you will get frustrated and you will start hating your work, but it's the same in all areas of art, including writing. You will find yourself leaving it alone for a month before going back to it again, and that's OK.

And lastly, most importantly, write your novel for YOU, not for your friends or readers, it's your work and it is very personal to you, so enjoy writing

The word count was 115,000 words, which I think translates into a big-ish book
    wow. I loved to write as a child, if it were about something i really loved. Never seemed to have the patience to continue with the same story though, always resulted in 3-4 stories on the go.

Crikey that is a long novel :P
    Yes I find that I'm just going along with it and just planning as I go if that makes sense ? If I struggle to continue the story I sit and think about it, mull over what I've already wrote and then write down how I can proceed, if I haven't already began writing again by then.

It definitely isn't easy, it is so satisfying when it flows and the words are like melodies to the mind but a nightmare when you stumble. I had a close shave today. I accidentally pulled the lead out of my laptop and my the laptop powered off. I thought my work had been wiped but luckily when I switched it back on it give me the option to recall all the work back, thank god! I would have been gutted.

I tend to start writing for me but then when I'm writing I start to think how a reader would perceive it. I try not to too much though just when I think it is necessary.

Cheers for the words of advice though, how long have you been working on the book already then ?

' it is so satisfying when it flows and the words are like melodies to the mind but a nightmare when you stumble'

This and a thousand times yes!!

I would definitely advice to back up your work. Save it on USB sticks (more than one), send it to your email, save it on other laptops etc. Do what it takes.

This story line is a decade old but only in the last two years have I been able to write it in a way that does it justice. It's taken a long time writing it this time because of working full time, college, general married life etc. I have also had episodes of depression which have made it a struggle to write but, once I come out the other end, my writing has been fantastic (not blowing my own trumpet, of course!).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information