Thread: Holter results - still have questions :S -

Holter results - still have questions :S -

Hey everyone,
    Got the results of the holter and i got this message:

***** Hospital, ***** Thailand
    July 5,2015
    Dear Mr. Mathieu Robillard,
    The Holter monitor showed normal pattern,no arrhythmia,no abnormal ST-T depression.
    You could come and pick up the permanent report from CCU before 4pm rand ask the CCU head nurse taking care of it.
    Since your EKG,Exercise Stress test and echocardiogram from Lanna Hospital were in normal patterns,and the Holter did not show any abnormality,it is not in the guidelines to do further investigation.
    Suggestion:
    Regular exercise,
    Avoid tea/cofee
    Regular check up
    Sincerely,

But i don't understand.... i mean i'm obviously happy that there's nothing major going on since all the tests came back normal but i definitly had pause between beat this morning and it absolutely freaked me out. What does that even mean? it's obviously benign since they say everything is normal but could it be pvc/pac and they didn't mention it?
    I mean i'm not crazy lol, i really felt pause between my beat with extra beats. I'm just wondering what can this be?

Alot of time when i'm in a situation with adrenaline involved (sex, masturbation, lifting weight, etc) it start to skip and if i'm nervous outside on the road, heartbeat go to 140-180 and it pause and skip every 2-3 beats... i don't understand.

I've noticed that sometimes, my breathing pattern isn't good. All my life until 16 years old, i was breathing in and out from my mouth. After my first panic attack (in 2004 when i was 16) i kinda 'learned' to breathe in from nose and out from mouth. I've noticed recently that when i'm very nervous, i don't breathe out all the air (i keep alot inside). Can this be the cause of the feeling i'm experiencing?
    Anyway thanks all
    Thanks all

Re: Holter results - still have questions :S -

Thanks alot Paul

Today i went to see the nurse and she gave me my holter results and everything is fine (yess!)
    But just one thing i would like to know since i'm a total newbie at medical terms lol:
    I'm not trying to find problems where there isn't so no i don't ask you guys this to try to find if maybe they missed something this ain't the case. I'm just trying to understand the medical language:
    Basically on the 'overall' paper there's 3 category:
    - Rate Dependent Events
    - Ventricular Events
    - Supraventricular Events
    In rate dependent events it say that my lowest heart rate was 45 (when i was sleeping most likely) and highest 126
    In the Ventricular events it say:
    431 beats (.45% of all beats) with:
    V Tach Runs: 4 (what is that?)
    Couplets: 27 (what is that?)
    Triplets: 1 (what is that?)
    Bigeminy Runs: 1 (what is that?)
    In the supraventricular event it say:
    173 beats (.17% of all beats) with:
    SV Tach Runs: 6 (what is that?)
    Couplets: 51 (what is that?)
    If anyone have any ideas what that mean (not the results itself but the words) please let me know!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sweetlover88 View Post
    Thanks alot Paul

Today i went to see the nurse and she gave me my holter results and everything is fine (yess!)
    But just one thing i would like to know since i'm a total newbie at medical terms lol:
    I'm not trying to find problems where there isn't so no i don't ask you guys this to try to find if maybe they missed something this ain't the case. I'm just trying to understand the medical language:
    Basically on the 'overall' paper there's 3 category:
    - Rate Dependent Events
    - Ventricular Events
    - Supraventricular Events
    In rate dependent events it say that my lowest heart rate was 45 (when i was sleeping most likely) and highest 126
    In the Ventricular events it say:
    431 beats (.45% of all beats) with:
    V Tach Runs: 4 (what is that?)
    Couplets: 27 (what is that?)
    Triplets: 1 (what is that?)
    Bigeminy Runs: 1 (what is that?)
    In the supraventricular event it say:
    173 beats (.17% of all beats) with:
    SV Tach Runs: 6 (what is that?)
    Couplets: 51 (what is that?)
    If anyone have any ideas what that mean (not the results itself but the words) please let me know!
    Thanks
    I won't explain in extra detail, also don't know if you'll see this reply, thread is getting old, but one thing:

The results for rate dependant, ventricular events (which I'm guessing is like sinus tachy) and supraventricular events, all those were took into consideration on giving you you're all clear. Meaning, you would've known had these numbers been abnormal.

I am not a medical practitioner but from my knowledge, the 2nd row is when your heart has small runs where it'll beat faster, it can last one beat to multiple beats, and the third row, if it's the same as supraventricular tachycardia, is when those same events happen but at a rate of 160 bpm or more. Some people (like myself) have episodes where those events happen very often, some people can get even 10,000 in a 24-hr Holter, and even then, most times it's benign and just unpleasant when felt.

Bigeminy are also harmless on healthy hearts, and even (I believe) sometimes on unhealthy hearts (structural abnormalities, etc). They're basically like PVCs, and you had but 1. I can get thousands sometimes. I've probably had 10 while replying to this post. You're all good

Sorry, nothing scientific from me, only shared experience in that benign palpitations can affect alot of people, it's just that some of us are aware them and others aren't. I first became aware of them in my 20s and still get them now at age 62. They've come and gone over those years and ive had various tests, all negative results. My husband gets them too but he can't feel them and is only aware of them if he takes his blood pressure on our home monitor...most unfair.

I've learned to live with these ' missed ' beats and flutters although I know how uncomfortable and scary they can be, so does my GP because he suffers with them too and has prescribed the same beta blockers that he himself takes, which help a great deal by blocking alot of the adrenaline. If these palpitations interfere with your quality of life, ask about taking low dose beta blockers perhaps. Also, it was good advice re stimulants such as too much caffienated drinks etc. I have decaff tea and coffee, don't smoke and have cut right back on alcohol...All have helped. Having an irritated stomach can irritate your heart also, eating hot spicy food for instance.

I know it sounds like a life sentence because I've suffered with these skipped beats for many years, but wanted to tell you that in over 40 years the palpitations have never developed into any kind of heart disease, never strained or stressed my heart in any way. It's a good heart that can be a little sensitive sometimes is all.

Take care
    Cath x

Quote Originally Posted by I still Believe View Post
    I know it sounds like a life sentence because I've suffered with these skipped beats for many years, but wanted to tell you that in over 40 years the palpitations have never developed into any kind of heart disease, never strained or stressed my heart in any way.
    If I may allow myself, having had them since my teen years, now 34, and you being older and obviously still alive, I just have a few questions if you have time :

Have you ever had episodes where you could feel like you had them all day, sometimes maybe even multiple days?

I've seen a cardiologist who told me PVCs/PACs were harmless and that I should stop worrying about them, but they still terrify me or at least worry me a lot sometimes when it gets more "intense". I'm just wondering if you'd had your fair share sometimes or if it was just a rare thing that happened since your twenties.

I was never aware of them before my mid 20s, and over the years from then until my last pregnancy at age 34, I usually had runs of them lasting days and sometimes even a couple of weeks at a time which used to terrify me, then nothing perhaps for another 6 months or so. During the pregnancy I had alot them every day as well as flutters which I hated even more than the dropped beats, and still do...I find myself taking a deep breath waiting for my heartbeat to right itself again, which of course it always does.

From my 40s onwards I got a small run of them every day...nothing too bad, and was still asking the doctor about them from time to time, and they'd sometimes send me for an ecg, which would be negative as always. They became more regular in the run up to the menopause so that was connected to change of hormones. I'm now 62 and still get them, although now I'm aware that they can happen much more in response to what i'm putting into my digestive system...sounds silly but have you ever burped and had a missed beat? Had a full stomach after eating a meal and had a fluttery heart? It's all connected.

Thing is, you can drive yourself mad trying to figure out why they happen. Sometimes they just do and we are just unlucky to be sensitive to feeling them. If you feel they are going to be part of your life as they are for alot of us, then try to find your triggers if you can, and if you can't and you need some relief, then beta blockers really do help. They are not addictive, not mind-altering like other anxiety meds, and can be taken as and when needed if you don't want to take them every day. Alternatively go down the natural remedy route with something like a natural tranquiliser such as Kalms or Valerian. I've tried these over the years myself but sometimes the palpitations were so bad they didn't work. So now I take 10mg daily of a beta blocker called Bisoprolol, which my doctor also takes for his missed beats...so it can happen to them too lol!

ISB x

For most people, including myself, weird little things happen with our hearts. What's different is how we perceive them.

I actually have heart disease. Two heart attacks, triple bypass and stents along with angina. I get an occasional blip or pain and such but I "know" I'm Ok as my tests have been good. Yes, I pause for a moment and wonder but I always draw on the facts and I also know from experience when something is terribly off. Your tests are good. You also know and associate your blips with anxiety and that's what you have to take to heart (pun intended).

There's nothing "physically" wrong according to scientific testing and medical science. They definitely noted the palps and irregular beats you feel but determined it's not sinister in nature. As I always say, treat the real cause (anxiety) and you treat the symptoms associated with them.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by I still Believe View Post
    [..]
    Thanks a LOT for your input! I took Metropolol for my tachycardia (I both have skipped beats / flutters & tachycardia) 7 years ago for maybe 8 months but it slowed my heart too much, even at a very small dose that I cut in half, extreme fatigue, etc, so I stopped taking them. I'm the one who had insisted to have them anyway, the doctor didn't seem to worry.

So I'll just stick to working on my mental perception of them and avoid strong triggers. Thanks again. It also encourages me a lot that someone older than I lived through it and is still alive

Haha, i'll take that as a compliment

ISB x

Thread Information