Thread: Alcohol and Citalopram??

Cool Alcohol and Citalopram??

So I have a massive party at the weekend that I've been looking forward to for ages. 8 days ago I was prescribed citalopram and have sworn off alcohol for the first week. I know that you cannot drink on diazepam, but can I drink at all on citalopram if it will be my 2nd week of taking it?

Re: Alcohol and Citalopram??

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi,

Here is the interaction info for you:

http://www.drugs.com/citalopram.html

Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of citalopram.

http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/citalopram.html

Alcohol (Ethanol) ↔ citalopram
    Moderate Drug Interaction
    Using citalopram together with ethanol can increase nervous system side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with citalopram. Do not use more than the recommended dose of citalopram, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medication without first talking to your doctor.

Citalopram has a half life of 35 hours and it takes 4-5 half lives for a medication to reach "steady state" in your blood plasma. Steady state is the point at which as much is going in as out so its the point at which are you are getting the most consistent amount & effect.

This would put Citalopram at 175 hours or 7.29 days.

Really its a question for your GP. Some can say it ok to drink in moderation which mine did but the difference is that I had been on it a couple of years by then and made significant gains in my recovery. A GP may have a very different view when starting as there is a reason why you need an antidepressant - which I suspect will be the case.

Heavy drinking will always be a big thing and GP's would warn against it, especially when on these meds.

Anxiety can also be an individual thing when it comes to alcohol. Some people find it makes them worse on the night ir for days later and some people can tolerate it without this. If you could drink before starting this then there is an indication that you are more tolerant (or less severe in terms of anxiety in many cases) but no one can judge what will be the difference between then and now with this med so I think you need to be cautious. If you really want to drink and accept the risks (as in it could increase the side effects of the drug) then it would be prudent to be careful and start small. BUT doing it now before you are stable and recovering is always going to be more of a risk.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 08-07-15 at 12:36.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

I have taken Citalopram for 15 yrs. I drink but not heavily. Say 2 glasses of wine (large ones).

Sarah

you will be fine have a few drinks all youll notice is 4 drinks will be more like you've had 6 drinks

I used to regularly wash my meds down with 7 pints and they still worked

I was on citalopram for years and quite often used to drink....alot XX

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell123 View Post
    you will be fine have a few drinks all youll notice is 4 drinks will be more like you've had 6 drinks

I used to regularly wash my meds down with 7 pints and they still worked
    I'd agree with this. Just take it a bit easier than you might and you'll be fine.

Thread Information