Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just started Venlor

Re: Just started Venlor

It is still very much early days Hun. In my previous experience ven takes a good six weeks to work properly. However I'm convinced that the stress and anxiety of trying a new med exacerbates the side effects. I always get really worked up when I have to take something new. Being on holiday meant you were already a little more relaxed. It was an escape from anxiety for you and that's probably why you didn't suffer badly with side effects. Now you're at home you're worrying about it a bit more.

Also it sounds like you doctor ramped up your dose pretty quickly, which may not have helped. I always have to increase very slowly or I feel terrible.

Stick at it. The side effects do pass I promise.

Sara xx

Thank you Sara. I just need some reassurance as I have spent since February trying to feel better, going round in circles, and am pinning all hope on Ven. Having been on Citalopram for 12 weeks I thought I might have to wait a little less for the Ven to work...am I totally starting from scratch do you think?

I didn't really worry about the ramped up dose as I figured he knows what he's doing but I'm sure it's not helping matters.

In terms of side effects is it normal to feel worse before better too? I just so want this to work.

Really appreciate your response xxx

Technically yes you are starting from scratch. Citalopram is an SSRI and Venlafaxine is a SNRI. SSRIs work on serotonin receptors in the brain whereas SNRIs work on serotonin and norepinephrine receptors once you get to 150mg and above. So yes in theory it is a different medication.

Yes it is very normal to feel worse before you feel better. Very much so. I've just started again and taken three doses and feel terrible. But because I've been on it before I know it works for me. But it did take about six weeks for me to feel the effects.

The fact that you're remaining positive about wanting it to work is a good sign. Keep your chin up and stick it out.

Sara xx

Thanks Sara. That's reassuring. I just wish I had a crystal ball and knew it was going to work for me. I'm just losing hope I'll ever feel better. The year is passing me by and I just want to be my old self again xx

You will. There is a med out there for everyone and a positive attitude helps to. And you have that. Keep us updated . Good luck.

Sara xx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information