Thread: GC visit - ladies only please

GC visit - ladies only please

Heyas,

I'm 22 and I've never had sexual relations or a pap smear, but I am thinking I should probably get one. That would allay my fears of cervix cancer and any number of other abnormalities. You know? And it's probably a good idea anyways, since you should get those things checked once in a while.

Problem is, I'm so scared to go. I was wondering if you ladies could give me any words of encouragement, or maybe some experiences you've had with it - like, is it painful? How long does it take? Any strategies for making the thing easier on myself?

Any help would be so appreciated! Thanks. =)

- Jamberry

Don't let life get the best of you; instead, give life your best.

It would be a good idea to start now and go and have one done even though you aren't sexually active.

There is nothing to worry about. It is a little uncomfortable but not painfull. It doesn't take very long to do. Having a good GP that you're comfortable with also helps.

I just look at it that it has to be done and it is over and done with quickly.

Deb

hi!

papsmear is an easy and quick test!
    nothing to worry about at all!!!!
    of all the tests ive avoided..lol..ie..anything with needles..ive been very good getting my paps every two years..think i forgot 1 year...

anyway, it takes like 5 mins or less....and there is absolutley no pain whatsoever!!!! trust me!!! im a wimp.....lol

if you feel more comfortable with a female doc then opt for one...my first doc for my first 3 paps was male, and i felt very comfortable with him...
    a highly recommended test in my eyes...

take care!

Jamberry,

I was sexually inactive when I had my first gyno exam. It's not horrible, but it's not fun, either. The worst part is being naked in front of the doctor and knowing that the purpose you're there is to be looked at and prodded. However, if you trust your doctor and feel comfortable in front of him/her, it'll be perfectly fine ! Don't worry about pain -- there's virtually none. And it is a good idea to get one done once a year like everyone else has said. (Gynocologists can also help with anxiety and depression meds, and if the problem is hormone related, they're the ideal folks to talk to!)

“Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot.”

im glad you posted this. im obsessed with cervical cancer. Im due a smear and ive been putting it off for nearly a year. But Ive finally plucked the courage and im gonna go next week. Cos even if they do find some cells they are easily gotten rid of. i have this on good info from a memeber of this forum!"

I'd say it's uncomfortable rather than painful. Worth doing though, it's only every 3 years. Every woman hates it but it's worth it.

Love Jo x

Jo

Thread Information