Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CBT and struggling...

Re: CBT and struggling...

Quote Originally Posted by Justanutter View Post
    Stumago, this is EXACTLY how I feel about it. In fact, I am going to quote this word for word this week at my session because I feel I need to be honest with her as she is so lovely and only doing her job. My family are exasperated with me and tell me that they believe 'I don't want anything to work' which is utter poppycock - they just need to walk a day in my shoes but I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I am desperate for it to work as I really don't know how I am ever going to rid myself of this state of mind, and I really do think I am trying hard.[COLOR="blue"]
    Hi Justanutter, it doesn't please me to see CBT not working for others but you're certainly not alone and it's not your fault

At the moment I feel so low, tearful every day, thinking of self harm, no appetite and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. When I try to explain how I feel to others who don't suffer I tell them it's like when you lose a close relative - your constantly tearful, feel so low, very emotional, no appetite, can't sleep etc - but it's like this every day.

CBT to me is like sawing your arm off and then remarking "oh isn't it a lovely sunny day today".

I'm a bit concerned. I had my assessment meeting a few weeks ago. The woman was really nice and I said I would like to continue with her if possible. She said that would be fine. Since then I have found out she is a trainee PWP (I'm not sure what that stands for). I don't want to change as I might not like another person.

Quote Originally Posted by humbug83 View Post
    I'm a bit concerned. I had my assessment meeting a few weeks ago. The woman was really nice and I said I would like to continue with her if possible. She said that would be fine. Since then I have found out she is a trainee PWP (I'm not sure what that stands for). I don't want to change as I might not like another person.
    Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner (PWP). They are the ones who deliver Level 2 services such as Guided Self Help. Level 3 is classed as High Intensity Therapy (HIT) hence you get a High Intensity Therapist who is able to work one-to-one with a client to deliver the traditional CBT style therapy that IAPT use.

If she is training to be a PWP then I would expect you are due to receive Level 2.

---------- Post added at 05:50 ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    My preferred method of relaxation would always be a general anaesthetic

I thought "CBT" as it is offered on the NHS was only suitable for mild to moderate cases. Anything more long term-apart from psychotherapy-would of necessity have to be privately funded by the individual as it's not really practical financially for people to have limitless sessions with an NHS practitioner. Just imagine the waiting lists! I had to wait over 2 years for my CBT 10 years ago and I think I got 16 sessions which barely scratched the surface. I was offered psychotherapy but turned it down as I couldn't commit to long term therapy as I'm a carer and I was very frightened as to how it would affect my day-to-day caring for my daughter.

I think that there's too much fancy terminology used today for mental health services when a lot of it is just common sense. Also far too many "therapists" jumping on the bandwagon taking advantage of vulnerable people.
    Beyond IAPT we have the mental health teams who would have treated us before. So, a GP can refer to those which can be seen in many threads on NMP. They will determine which therapy is best and it may end being another round of CBT but the difference will be that you are with someone who is far more qualified, experienced and multidisciplined as opposed to a shorter specific CBT training course. Level 4 services can be going on for a year, be bi-weekly, etc so they are more diverse. Indeed NICE guidelines for GAD indicate an escaltion to this level for refractory cases and the OCD guidelines show them supposedly being involved slightly earlier.

A lot of CBT is common sense. Its just that it tries to explain things and then provides a structure to get you moving forward as opposed to often woolly common sense of the anxiety guru's who repeat themselves without really telling you more than the average person on the street would if you asked them.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner (PWP). They are the ones who deliver Level 2 services such as Guided Self Help. Level 3 is classed as High Intensity Therapy (HIT) hence you get a High Intensity Therapist who is able to work one-to-one with a client to deliver the traditional CBT style therapy that IAPT use.

If she is training to be a PWP then I would expect you are due to receive Level 2.[COLOR="blue"]

Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information