Thread: spotting after period

spotting after period

Hi, Freaking out about spotting after my period. I'm not really sure how to tell when my period is over and when it's the end or when it's spotting at the end. Right now I'm on day 10 of my cycle... I think I had my period more or less till day 7 and evern since then I've had everything from dark bits to watery brown type of spotting/discharge. Sorry for the TMI! I do get this every month and I have seen a gyn. Back in January I had a benign polyp removed and they did a D&C and everything checked out okay. A few months previous to that is when I had an ultrasound which picked up the polyp and a small cycst on my ovary which the doctor said was common and nothing to worry about. With regards to the spotting, my gyn seems to think that this is just the way my body works and it's just old blood making it's way out, but I'm in a panic about it every month. I'm almost 44 and not on birth control. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Re: spotting after period

Hi

I'm going through something similar at the minute and just about to book an appt with the GP. Over the last couple of years I've had 3 ultrasounds, smear test and been to the colposcopy clinic so like you have had investigations.

I appeared to finish my period last Tuesday but then on Thursday started with this horrible brown spotting it's disgusting, as it doesn't even look like blood. I'm 42 and when I've been to the GP before about spotting at different points in my cycle they've just said it's my age so I think that's probably what they'll say this time but I'm going to get it checked anyway.

Everything I've read seems to say it is just old blood left from your period making it's way out but it's not very nice so I do sympathise, hope you get it sorted.

Re: spotting after period

Hi Munchlet, Thank you for your kind response. A few days ago I spotted once (day 24) which sent me into a panic, as I hadn't had any spotting after midcycle that I can recall. I phoned my gyn, who happened to be on vacation, so spoke to another doctor who said she wasn't concerned based on all of the tests I've had in the past year. To put my mind at ease she suggested booking another ultrasound even though she thought it wasn't necessary. So, I'm going to do that and hopefully they will find nothing. Fortunately, so far, I haven't had any other spotting since. It's definitely confusing not understanding what your body is doing. Good luck with your appointment and hope everything goes well for you too!
    Last edited by sandycat; 28-07-15 at 14:27. Reason: typo

Thread Information