Thread: Partner is going away on Friday - feeling anxious

Partner is going away on Friday - feeling anxious

I live with my partner, he is going on holiday on Friday for 10 days. It's not my kind of holiday as it's mostly going to be cycling. He's going with some family friends and his dad.
    I feel really anxious about not being with him everyday, since living together I've felt content and I like waking up with someone in the morning and falling asleep together too.

As it gets closer, I'm feeling more and more anxious. I don't want him to go but of course I can't stop him. I know this is probably an issue about attachment I need to address.

Does anyone have any advice? I know I should keep busy and the time will go quicker but 10 days is a long time :(

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: Partner is going away on Friday - feeling anxious

Hi, my partner left Monday. He'll be away one whole month. First night was the worst. Had anxiety all day and then a night full of horror dreams and then, in the morning.. I woke up so anxious that I immediately started to cry.

So I cried for a while, surfed the net in need for distraction and after two hours I almost felt ok to exit my bedroom, he called me and I broke again.

So we talked, he's having good time, lots of people, fun, some work etc. I pretended I was fine although I'm truly happy for him. When the call was over, I went to my mother and cry to her for couple minutes. Felt little better and had breakfast.

But I'm not the best person to give advices cause I still can't get off my once a day Prazepam, which I took after my meal and it put me trough the day.

If you''re not on any kind of drug, you should try to make your day full with both interesting and less interesting things to do. I realised that when I'm on my bike I tend to think more about my life than when I'm peeling potatoes or mopping my floors. House work always keep me isolated from deep kind of thoughts.

Treat it like exposure therapy. The anticipatory anxiety will no doubt be worse than the reality itself.

Experience the reality. Learn to cope. It'll be good for you to go through that.

Stay in touch on your mobile. Even face time and stuff so you can see him each day.

It'll be over before you know it.

I was panicking about my Mum leaving for 2 months last week. It was more the anticipation, after a day or 2 I get used to it and it's ok...in fact it's even liberating to actually realise that you can and will manage by yourself xx

Quote Originally Posted by Oosh View Post
    Treat it like exposure therapy. The anticipatory anxiety will no doubt be worse than the reality itself.

Experience the reality. Learn to cope. It'll be good for you to go through that.

Stay in touch on your mobile. Even face time and stuff so you can see him each day.

It'll be over before you know it.
    The problem is there is no wifi so it'll just be calls, no face time or skype :(

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Thread Information