Thread: Lorazepam (AKA Ativan, has anyone else taken this?

Lorazepam (AKA Ativan, has anyone else taken this?

Hey everyone.

I've been on lorazepam since mid-december. Basically I started out taking one miligram as needed. I also take 100 MG of zoloft every night. Not sure how those two interact.

After a few days my night time panic attacks were getting so bad I almost never slept. So I was staying at an adult crisis center for a week to manage it better. Eventually the Doc increased my perscription to 1 MG every four hours as needed. For a while I took it like that and the panic attacks diminished and finally I was able to sleep. I kept that up for maybe two weeks into the beginning of January.

Then I decided to start weaning down (At the suggestion of my Doctor) and went down to half a miligram every four hours. Another week and it became half a miligram three times a day. Reaching the point below that though (two times a day) has been a struggle as going that low I have had panic attacks and seem to have more anxiety. So as of friday I stopped trying to go back to two every day and went back to three (had been taking two for a couple days). I seem to struggle with this, going back and forth between two and three.

I wonder if anyone has any advice regarding this. Has anyone taken lorazepam before? How did it effect you do you think? What were the side effects? I've heard good and bad things about lorazepam but it has always helped me to manage my anxiety and panic. Still, it is meant for use short-term and I worry about addiction and how hard it may be to go off completely when the time comes.

It seems to make me tired, but I wonder if it may be causing other side effects as well that I don't notice so much. Any advice or information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

God Bless you all

David

Hi David,

I was on Lorazepam from 1979 to 1982. Over here it is called Ativan - I think lorazepam is the generic name. I was put on it after developing acute anxiety when there was a fire in a linen cupboard just outside my ward during a week's stay in hospital with salpingitis (which is when all my problems started - was fairly 'normal' till then!) I was also prescribed Limbitrol at the same time (which I believe was half Librium and half Amytriptylene and was much harder to come off than the Ativan). I experienced quite alarming side effects on the lorazepam - I was so tired that I could hardly get out of bed in the mornings and my husband had to get the children's breakfast before he went to work which I felt so guilty about. I had terrible sinus pains the whole time. I had extremely heavy monthlies (sorry don't know what would be the equivalent for men). But the worst thing was that it completely changed my personality - I have always been a very quiet person - at school the teachers would write 'needs to come out of her shell' on my reports, couldn't say boo to a goose. Well on Ativan, I smashed four alarm clocks, cut up my jewellery, swore at our nextdoor neighbour ... I've never known such a feeling of rage. The doctor thought I wasn't having enough and doubled the dose. Not good times. I remember that there was a tribunal (in England) for people who had bad experiences where they could claim compensation from the makers. The deadline to be included came and went but I was too scared to go. I remember one poor lady who drove her car into a brick wall whilst taking it. But obviously it affects different people in different ways - I think you would know by now if this rage thing was going to happen. It could have been a bad reaction when taken with the Limbitrol as well. I remember cutting them in half and then in quarters to come off them and then missing out a day altogether. I succeeded without too many effects (the Limbitrol was horrendous though - took four years). You are the only person I have noticed here who took lorazepam. I wish you well. Sorry I could not be of much help but please keep us posted of your progress. Love Brandy Snap xx

Hi David,

Yes I have took the Ativan before it did help me, but I didnt take them for long, because the doctor told me they were addictive and that's what I dont want. You have to ween yaself off of addictive med or you will have withdrawl, I no when I lower my does of med on welliburtin and stop taking them for a few days, I tried to go back and take them and I had bad withdrawl from it, Panic got worst. I have Ativan now but so afraid to take them even though I no they will help but they are so addictive and I dont want that at all. It wasnt my doctor who gave them to me this time, but my aunt, she has took them as needed for years and her panick has stopped, she gave me some but I refuse to take them. Anyway I am already on med and I dont want to much of that stuff.The sideeffects be bad enough and I dont need no more added side effects. I have been just about all of the med for panic attacks, and still havent gotten the right one. Well wellbutrin helped once before gonna give it another try and pray about it and stay postive. There are some bad side effects on alot of the med. but you never give up and keep trying till you get on the right one that's not addictive that's gonna help you.Well everybody body is different. My body is very sensitive to high doses, so I stick with the lowest doses. I think sometimes it be in our mind about the med. I no it's hard , but we gotta keep it postive. well hope you feel better.

Thread Information