Thread: Stomach is sore/tender when pressed? Constant nausea/anxiety. Please help!

Stomach is sore/tender when pressed? Constant nausea/anxiety. Please help!

I'm 25 and always had issues with stomachaches and anxiety/depression.

For almost 2 weeks I've had this constant sick nauseous feeling, sore and tense in the chest and when I press my upper abdomen where my stomach is it's really sore and tender. I'm terrified I have something serious - last night I googled (big mistake) and came up with Barrett's Easopheagus (sp?) I've now scared the crap out of myself thinking I have this or something like stomach cancer.

End of last year I had a test for h pylori and that was clear.

What's really bothering me is the tenderness I feel when I press the area. Has anyone had this? And does it indicate something serious is going on? I would appreciate any feedback or reassurance. This sick feeling is driving me crazy.

I'll also add that I've been under a huge amount of stress and anxiety over the last 8 months.

Hope to hear back from someone.

Dani

Re: Stomach is sore/tender when pressed? Constant nausea/anxiety. Please help!

Dani, I'm knew here and I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. I know that the head and the gut are very interlinked and stress/anxiety can wreak havoc on your stomach. They do on mine and I'm often convinced I'll be dead in a few weeks. The trick (apparently) is to not seek reassurance but to change Thame pathways in your brain that leads you to the worst conclusion - so thinking rationally about whether it could be indigestion or IBS. Easier said than done, I know.

I would keep a diary for a week or so and then try and rationalise your symptoms. Hope that helps x

Hi Dani

My anxieies caused me a lot of stomach problems. I had constant burping, bloating and pain in my stomach. Yes it was tender and hard and hurts. It went on for months and the more I focused on it the worse it got. I was convinced I had something really bad. I went to see gastro and got a gastroscopy and it came up with gastritis. The gastro pretty much said no spicy food, take nexium or some acid blocker and sent me on my way.

It got miraculously better after I found out nothing was wrong with me. A couple of years later I had another episode of the same thing and it went on and on and I was convinced again ... got ANOTHER gastroscopy and turns out I still have gastritis and it was a flare up. It also got miraculously better after I found that out.

Try and relax, stress can cause all sorts of stomach symptoms and I know it is easier said than done (otherwise I wouldn't still be here on this forum).

Thanks so much for the quick replies.

Reilly, I feel the same, when I get like this I honestly believe I'll be dead in a few weeks/months. Keeping a diary is a good idea.

Dee, makes me feel better you experienced the same tenderness. I have read about gastritis and that seems scary too. Was the doctor concerned? I have read gastritis can be caused by stress which shocked me as I've been a basket case for so long. The only thing which worried me about gastritis is that if left untreated can lead to stomach cancer?

I'm thinking of seeing a gastro, may help to ease some of the worry and speculation as to what might be going on.

Thanks for the replies

Thread Information