Thread: Kidney infection, scared I'm gonna end up in hospital

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Kidney infection, scared I'm gonna end up in hospital

It all started Monday, it felt like I had a uti so on Wednesday (the only day I could go) I dropped off a water sample and it was apparently negative. But today I have felt much much worse I have very bad kidney pain. As I was talking to the doctor she proceeded to tell me that actually, I do have a uti and it came back sensitive to trimethoprin. So I have a 3 day course 200g twice a day. I'm in major panic. I felt like I got much worse so I went to see a nurse and explained everything and she said I just have to take pain killers, finish the course and drink plenty.

The reason why I'm so terrified is I only have this one kidney, this is my worst nightmare, this is the one health thing I'm majorly afraid of. So of course, I've got myself in a tizz. The doctor told me that the infection is sensitive to trimethoprin. But I'm unsure as to what that means. I'm just so so scared I'll end up in hospital. I'm in so much pain and feel like maybe the tablets won't work :'(I'm just so fed up.
    Last edited by little.miss.worry; 17-07-15 at 15:35. Reason: Spelling mistake

Re: Kidney infection, scared I'm gonna end up in hospital

What the Dr meant was the the bacteria causing your infection will be destroyed by the antibiotic she has prescribed. when you send a water sample away that is positive for bacteria then they grow the bacteria and tests different antibiotics to see which kills the bacteria fastest and then you get this antibiotic.

So if you take the tablets as prescribed then this will kill the bacteria including any that have got to your kidney.

If you get very high fever and severe shivering then that would be a reason for seeing a Dr asap or going to hospital but otherwise the antibiotic should work. It usually takes at least 24 hrs before an antibiotic starts working and 2-3 days to get alot better.

Hope this explanation helps.

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    What the Dr meant was the the bacteria causing your infection will be destroyed by the antibiotic she has prescribed. when you send a water sample away that is positive for bacteria then they grow the bacteria and tests different antibiotics to see which kills the bacteria fastest and then you get this antibiotic.

So if you take the tablets as prescribed then this will kill the bacteria including any that have got to your kidney.

If you get very high fever and severe shivering then that would be a reason for seeing a Dr asap or going to hospital but otherwise the antibiotic should work. It usually takes at least 24 hrs before an antibiotic starts working and 2-3 days to get alot better.

Hope this explanation helps.
    Thank you so much for replying. It's put my mind at ease! I understand it all now thank you for explaining it too me Hopefully i'll be on the mend soon!

Your welcome. Sometimes just having things explained in more detail can help alot. I worked in a medical setting and absorbed information like a sponge because of my health anxiety and it does come in useful for helping others both in reassurance and also if I think someone should see a Dr. Whats embarrasing is when a new Dr asks me if I am medically qualified because I know so much and ask questions that non medical people would not think to ask!

Thread Information