Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do most anti depressants take 4 to 6 weeks to take effect.

Why do most anti depressants take 4 to 6 weeks to take effect.

I know for short term relief drugs like Valium and Xanax and Ativan act very quickly but are recommended only for short term use but why do the modern drugs such as the numerous choice of SSRI'S nearly always take a good few weeks to start to kick in and invariably one feels worse when one starts taking them.

One would have thought in 2015 where statistics show that anxiety related and depression illnesses are on the rise annually, that we haven't got the technology to improve the drugs currently available.

I am not advocating that these drugs are a cure but in many cases can improve the quality of life for an individual.
    Last edited by ricardo; 17-07-15 at 19:48.

Re: Why do most anti depressants take 4 to 6 weeks to take effect.

I can only give my own experience but I'm taking sertraline, having had a massive phobia of it for years and was certain it would not work and I would feel so sick I wouldn't be able to stick with it.

I felt sick once (most likely due to anxiety) and after 4 days the feeling of a cloud of dread lifted. I didn't expect to feel anything and hate the fact I'm taking medication as I always wanted to do it alone. I've now taken it for 3 weeks and I've achieved things I never thought I'd be able to face and haven't faced since developing severe anxiety and panic attacks 2 years ago.

I know everyone is different and maybe I was just lucky but it's helped so much in such a short period of time. You just have to read through my history to know how I couldn't even imagine taking any medication at all! I took the contraceptive pill for 3 days before giving up due to anxiety about it!

My guess is because the chemical changes they cause have some kind of affect on the brain which causes it to be remolded slightly and this takes time.

I certainly don't buy the 'chemical imbalance' theory because if these pills really were correcting an imbalance you would expect to see improvement almost right away. Like when taking a thyroid hormone or something.

It is also important to factor in that a lot of people with 'depression' are actually suffering from understandable situational low mood and would have got better in the 2-3 month time frame anyway..... usually once the bad event or life stress has passed.

Quote Originally Posted by yenool View Post

I certainly don't buy the 'chemical imbalance' theory because if these pills really were correcting an imbalance you would expect to see improvement almost right away. Like when taking a thyroid hormone or something.

It is also important to factor in that a lot of people with 'depression' are actually suffering from understandable situational low mood and would have got better in the 2-3 month time frame anyway..... usually once the bad event or life stress has passed.
    Exactly. I thought they had stated that whilst low Serotonin had been noted in people with depression, the was no proveable link as they are still unaware whether that causes depression or whether it is an outcome of depression.

Its also folly to just prevent loss. Why not look at diet too and make sure it is sufficient to even create enough Serotonin? GP's don't seem to bother with that and it could easily be argued based on your last statement that increased demand for neurotransmitters are not being fulfilled in times of stress as they aren't with many other nutrients.

recent studies show most ADs make changes in the brain within 3 hours,no idea why it takes 3-4 weeks to kick in but maybe thats because we have to get used to the change ?

I suspect that in 10 years time the drugs being prescribed now will be obsolete. It does seem farcical that this kick-in period has to be endured by people desperate to get some respite from their symptoms.

I've used an example a few times to demonstrate a comparison to physical health:

You go to A&E with a broken nose, the doctor examines you and you ask if he can help. The doctor replies "Yes, of course, but first let me punch you on the nose".

Thats like a GP dishing out SSRI/SNRI's!

NoPoet's thread shows examples of some of the newer meds coming out or in the pipeline:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54701

The introduction of Glutamate based meds is interesting given it influences both excitory & inhibitory neurotransmitters. The precursors of Glutamate are very easy to purchase and very cheap as well as being available in many supermarkets. I would prefer to see TMS come through though, especially since we have some similiar devices on the market for purchase now.

Anti Depressants may get to the brain quickly but the rest of your body needs to tolerate them too which takes time,also its not yet quite understood about the serotonin link lots of research i have done proves contradictory depending who is writing it.

If it is the case it has to work on chemicals in the brain also and build them up that would take time and produce side effects.

On another point it would be a good idea if we could have perhaps dieticians trained up to take a look at people diets and se if a change to certain foods would help,certainly might be cheaper then other methods but worth a try.

ssris are like playing darts in the dark with your head

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndy View Post
    ssris are like playing darts in the dark with your head
    ...and I'm no Bobby George!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information