Thread: Red patch on arm ?

Red patch on arm ?

My mother was bitten by tick a month ago. A week ago she developed a red/purple patch 9cm*7cm, but it is not on site of bite. She was bitten on back and the patch is on her right arm.

The thing is, she went to dermatologist who said that it's not dermatologist issue and that she should go to her oncologist surgeon (since she had mastectomy of right breast 2.5 years ago). Surgeon said it is some kind of bite (even though there is no point of bite) and that it has nothing to do with her cancer. She also did ultrasound of that breast and underarm and it was fine.

Then she went to clinic for infectious diseases and they also told her that it probably some kind of bite ut she is taking antibiotics so even if it's some kind of infection of lymph vessels it will go away.

It's been 4 days since she is taking antibiotics and nothing is changing, for better or worse and 7 days since she got that patch.

Now only thing that is coming to mind is could it be lyme disease even though there is nothing in the place of bite?

I mean, I never experienced situation where 4 different doctors look at thing and say they don't know what it is...

Re: Red patch on arm ?

I would imagine they have given her the antibiotics that they also use for treating lyme disease anyway, but may be worth asking her to find out. The bulls eye rash of lymes will always be around the bite. It is a very distinctive rash ( I have seen it) and looks just like a dart board so if it is not bulls eye rash then its no doubt just a normal skin bacteria that has got in from another type of insect bite.

Re: Red patch on arm ?

They didn't give her antibiotics for Lyme's but for probability it is infection of lymph vessels. So, not the same ones...

I found on some site pictures of some lyme's rashes that doesn't look like bull's eye like this one http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/8590805_f520.jpg , and her rash looks pretty much the same way just a bit darker but like I said, it's definitely not at the place of the bite.

Thread Information