Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mitrazepine, weight loss/gain.

mitrazepine, weight loss/gain.

hi
    I have read through some previous posts re this med. I have been prescribed Mirtrazepine but have not taken it. I am really really worked up about putting on weight. Through my anx and depression one of the few things keeping me going is my weight loss/food control which now stands at a stone and a half and regular small eating.
    It might not seem much but even the thought of putting on a few pounds feels catastrophic for me. I am still overweight and would like to lose another stone.
    Has anyone actually LOST weight whilst on this drug? my fear of taking it has helped prompt me to be rather silly and I have now gone a week without anything, I came off the other one without starting this one.
    Does anyone think my psychiatrist will see this as a legitimate reason for not even trying them or will it be put down to my anx? I am worried that I will stop worrying about it on this new drug and be relaxed enough to grow fat and happy, but then when I eventually get better I will hate the way I look.
    I don't have problems with eating in general except that I overeat when I am anx or depressed (when I wasn't on meds) it makes me feel good to be able to refuse the things I used to indulge in.
    I am also worried my therapist/ gp will withdraw their support if I don't toe the line.
    Any thoughts much appreciated
    happyone
    x

"Today is the day before tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day." wisdom of my daughter!

Hi Happyone

I have no experience of taking this medication (also known as Zispin) although when I was in hospital the psychiatrist wanted me to take it for insomnia. Having taken many different antidepressants in the past I have resisted attempts to take any this time round but they are helpful for some people.

When I researched this particular medication I too discovered that one of the side effects can be weight gain for some people. This was a big deal for me since I have anorexia and was on an eating disorders unit at the time. I refused to take it.

I would suggest you speak to your psychiatrist or doctor as soon as possible next week to discuss your concerns. There is the added complication here that you have come straight off one antidepressant, with possible withdrawal from that, and have not started the new medication.

Please get some expert advice as there may be an alternative medication that could be prescribed instead. The psychiatrist or doctor might also be able to reassure you about the fear of weight gain. Like all side effects, not everyone experiences the same ones.

Karen

Why does my heart go on beating?
    Why do these eyes of mine cry?
    Dont they know its the end of the world?
    It ended when you said goodbye

hi,
    I have been on this medication for about 5 months and had to stop it last week, due to a big weight gain (none of my clothes fit me) and leg swelling. I found i felt hungry all the time, with hunger pains etc.
    However im sure this dont happen to everyone.

plz contact me if i can help xxxxxx

I CAN, I WILL , I AM

thank you for your replies.
    I had also posted similar on another site and nowhere have I found what I wanted.
    I am not going to take them.
    I know karen that it is silly of me to stop one without another, but that is me hun, self destructive to the last sometimes.:( The thing is, I have gone from monday til now and the discontinuation effects are wearing off. I know realistically I will have to take something soon, but I am enjoying, today, this feeling of being clean[^] My main worry is not having to take more meds (apart from this one) but having to see the psych again. I really dislike her and the other one is a man and immature as it may sound, I can't relate to male docs.
    I appreciate your replying karen as I think I know how this post must look to you. I have a control problem. At the moment it is diet orientated but at other times it is different. I have to have something to control or i feel really really screwed up. even more so than now[:I]
    Thank you both again
    happyone
    X

"Today is the day before tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day." wisdom of my daughter!

Hi Happyone

I hope I didn't make things worse with my comments about weight but being anorexic I did a lot of research when my psychiatrist wanted me to take this medication. I was suspicious she wanted me to have an increased appetite and more weight gain.

Doesn't mean it will happen to you but I am sure there will be alternatives the psychiatrist can offer. Remember that you do not have to take the medication if you are against it. I refused.

I can understand the need to have control - that's one part of what anorexia is about. You are doing what you can for yourself and being as informed as possible will help you put your views across at the appointment.

Karen xx

you certainly didn't make things worse karen. I was worried that I was doing that for you.
    I feel strong in my resolve that I am not going to take the med. If they can prescribe another without that side effect then I will consider.
    Part of the problem is that I am usually quite passive with health professionals and I am worked up about saying I am not going to take them as I know that they are only trying to help. I am really afraid that they will say they will withdraw their support if i don't toe the line.
    I am quite controlling but as I say, it changes. Because I feel my life is out of control at the mo, this is the area I have chosen to control. Sometimes it is about money, or the children or my hubby[:I] but kids and hubby rebel a bit[:I]
    Happyone
    x

Hi mate,

I don't know much about meds so can't add anything here but good luck with sorting it all out.

Lisa x

Hi Happyone

Don't worry you didn't make anything worse for me. There was a time when I used to take any antidepressant that was dished out to me. But maybe I am a bit more assertive now and also anorexia is a pretty important motivator to avoid anything that might increase appetite and weight.

If you are worried about getting your point across why not write it down beforehand and if you get flustered you can hand the psych/doctor the note instead.

I really don't believe they will withdraw support just because you don't want this particular antidepressant and you are within your rights to say no. I really hope it goes well for you.

BTW - I too need to have control in my life, having been controlled most of it by other people, so I understand where you are coming from there. Just be careful please.

Karen xx

Thanx,
    I have written down some points that I want to raise. I have resolved myself to having to see psych this week, but i am going to ask that it is not tomorrow. I need time to think it over first.
    I am being careful with the control karen, honest. That is why I was saying on the other post about being sensible with my exercise levels.
    I will get this sorted.
    happyone
    x

i hav been on mirtazapine now for 11days, not sure if it helping but i havnt felt need to eat more. i too used to cope with my anixety by not eating only thing i had control over ,then i started to over eat especially at night. felt it helped my panic2munch on crisps etc, sure i was going to die that nite anyway so why not. so at mo i havnt got great appitite and tabs havnt given me one yet. im one of these folk who if i read side effects then i will hav everyone of them. speak to your dr about your concerns.hope this helps a bit.

pjrobb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information