Thread: What are my options at this point?

What are my options at this point?

Hi all,

I'm really hoping someone can give me a little insight.

My primary care physician is convinced that all of my symptoms (tachycardia, random swings in blood pressure, nausa, hot flashes, and profuse sweating) are the result of panic attacks. If so, then it's really started up quite suddenly (I've only been experiencing symptoms for about 5 months). I've never really had issues with stress management or anxiety before, other than occasional bouts of minor insomnia or IBS-like intestinal issues.

My problem is that I really, REALLY don't want to start taking SSRIs. Thus far, my doc has tried Paxil and Lexapro. Apparently I can't tolerate either of them (they make me edgy and cause horrible insomnia). My doc also tried Buspar, which _dramatically_ increased the frequency (normally once every 2 weeks or so, increased to 7-8 times a day) of my "episodes."

I came off the Buspar, and now am back to mild symptoms with an attack (which I'm still not convinced it is) every 2-3 weeks.

I've now been refered to a psychiatirst/internist.

What kinds of medications are left for me?

Hiya

I only know two types of medication because I am studying Psychology in college.

Beta Blockers - helps the adrenalin rush (which in your case is not needed)

Prozac - makes one happier (not needed in your case ... again)

It's all down to the individual how to cope with panic attacks. I have suffered from then for 3 years now and never touched medication. If you check out the First Steps page on the website then it will give you some tips on how to cope with panic attacks.

"My teddy last night was a paper bag, to keep my safe."

HI I AM ON A BETA BLOCKER AND IT DOESNT STOP MY PANIC ATTACKS I JUST CANT FEEL MY HEART POUND AS MUCH

Digger

Then don't go on them. Many of us here never did and got over the panic.

I hope you had a physical check up too to exclude any other cause.

Have a good read up around the subject.
    Medications can ease symptoms but will not cure any underlying cause permenently anyway. Complemenetary optiosn can also ease symptoms

When you see the psych discuss all your options such as CBT, a life coaching/ lifestyle assessment.

Meanwhile take good care of yourself. Watch out for sugar , caffiene and other stimulants , do some active relaxation, and real exercise, keep distracted and keep a note of when you get your worst times and see if there is a trend so you can have an infomed discussion with your doctors

Meg

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

i take a low dose of lexapro now and it has helped me quite a bit!! im sorry to see nothing has really helped. when im really edgy sometimes i take .5 mg of lorazepam (ativan) and it helps me a lot. if you go to the hospital and are having an attack that is what they usually give you. its a really good medication to use sparingly.

lauren

Thread Information