Thread: any top tips?!

any top tips?!

Hello, I was wondering if you could help. I'm trying to deal with my panic attacks by doing all those things I'm scared of. I feel very uncomfortable in enclosed spaces...the usual.... lifts, trains, busses, planes, ferries etc.

My other half is on the other side of the world and I REALLY want to visit him at Easter but the thought of 12 hours on a plane, on my own feels like too much at the moment.

So, I've started - a few journeys so far BUT I'm really stuck. I know about feeling my fear, I know they're not dangerous but what I can't get my head round is that they do make me feel very distressed and I do cry and I do try and get off and everyone does look at me. This is a reality and this is why I can't feel my fear. Am I making sense...

From just writing this down I realise that I still think my panic attacks will 'tip me over the edge'.... maybe this is what I really need to work on??

Tomorrow I'm due to get on a train with my Mum and I'm already nervous...

Any top tips would be gratefully accpeted!
    Thank you,

xs

Hiya good luck with the train journey tomorrow. I get on a train everyday and they are great! They are fun too, you can stand up and move around as much as posible.

When I travel alone and feel panicky I find listening to my MP3 player helps me alot. When on the train concentrate on the scenery, like how many bridges you see (I did that on EuroStar ... I lost count) and the fields.

On the plane bring a MP3 or iPod, they are allowed on the plane. If you ever feel a panic attack coming then there is always a paper bag infront of you. And try walking around the plane for a bit, exercise, and if there's a film then watch it, hopefully it'll be a comedy.

Enjoy yourself tomorrow, and dont worry, your Mum will be there with you ^_^ have a good day!

"My teddy last night was a paper bag, to keep my safe."

Thanks Jadey....I've got an I-pod so I'll put on some nice tunes today and try and concentrate on that! [^]

xs

Thanks Nigel...that site looks v interesting - I might download one of the panic attacks ones later...I'll let you know how it goes.

Today was a good day...I managed a bus journey that used to frighten me as it goes along a motorway and you definitely can't get off! Felt the feelings (about an 8/10!) and let them happen. Got off at the end of the line and did it all over again. What a feeling afterwards!

In the afternoon I went with Mum on the train - last w-end I managed 1 stop and it was awful... today I did 3 stops one way and 3 stops back. Felt panicky but Mum made me stay on. Didn't have a full on attack but felt pretty yuk.

So, making progress. Slowly. I think I have to accept this is going to take some time. As I said before my other half is in SE Asia and I would LOVE to go out at Easter...it's only 8 weeks away and while part of me can't envisage me doing a 12hr journey on my own, it is my motivation through all this.

Jadey, I took your advice...I took my laptop and listened to music, looked at some photos, wrote down how I was feeling...great distraction!

Thank you for reading...just writing this all down really helps.
    xs

Thread Information