Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I stop my depressive mood in the morning?

How can I stop my depressive mood in the morning?

I always feel quite depressed in the morning, my optimism is nil, this usually goes by the end of the day, but then I wake to the same struggle. Any tips on relieving this?

Thanks

Re: How can I stop my depressive mood in the morning?

Some people are morning people and some people come alive later in the day.

I find my evening eating habits can affect how I sleep, wake and feel the following morning/day.

Some people like protein in the evening. Some can't sleep if they eat protein. I personally like to eat the days carbs in my evening meal and find it gives me the best rest and I wake most refreshed.

I probably feel clearer if I don't eat past 7pm.

Try different things and see what suits you.

I wish someone would tell me how to feel better in a morning bekw89

And me. I wake to a panic attack every morning.

My mood is at its worst in the morning too, bekw89, although I'm a morning person.

Have you tried jumping into the shower as soon as you wake up? Sometimes just doing something can alleviate some of the symptoms. I find just lying in bed thinking about things makes me feel even worse.

I thought I'd better edit this, and add that I know that even getting out of bed can be a big deal when you are feeling at rock bottom. If you are feeling in a really bad way, my advice isn't really appropriate, and I apologise.
    Last edited by Cheesemonster13; 23-07-15 at 17:54.

My flatness is worst earlier in the day, it doesn't completely go by the end of the day either.

My medications are currently making me very tired as well.

I try to distract myself from the anxiety and depression but it's very hard to be motivated to do so, especially when you are blue and tired and anxious to some degree.

NOTE: This is REALLY hard to do!

Let me start by saying I'm not a morning person and never was. I can't even see straight until I've been up for at least 30 minutes and have some coffee in me! ~lol~

Anyway.... When I was dealing with depression after my illnesses, I was told to get myself out in the mornings. I was like "You're &^!%$# kidding me! That's not gonna happen!"...

Long story short, I told a friend about this and he called my up one day and said "Tomorrow morning, 6:30am, the park! Be there!" and hung up. The next morning, I got up, put my clothes on, started the coffee and drove over to the park. My friend was there and we went for a 25 minute power walk. It was hard as hell! BUT... when I finished, I was awake and felt great!

I started doing this again recently and as hard as it is to get my butt in gear, the benefits are quite evident.

Why not give this a shot? It really does make a difference in how you approach the day.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks for the replies everyone. Today was a better morning than usual and I think in part because I told myself it would be. I still had an overwhelming sense of unease but it wasn't so horrific as usual. Good tip about the shower, and yes if I could get back into working i'm sure the morning blues would fade quicker. I never thought I'd look forward to going to work, I haven't managed it yet.

Something that has helped me a little is getting up doing some stretches, take the herbal supplement of the day and force some food down me. Then I sort of wait it out, but as I say today was better because in my mind I wanted it to be! The power of positive thoughts!

Yes, exercise is a very good one for this. In poorer countries they try exercise even before meds.

Walking & cycling are recommended from what I've seen. Anything that gets you outside into the light is always good. Even going to the gym and having a social element can help.

Looking on forums or websites geared more towards depression will give you plenty of tips.

If you read about circadian rhythm, it does explain how sleeping less or longer can also mean we wake up in REM cycles and these are similiar to jetlag. I remember an article saying get outside in the sunlight & exercise as it causes the body to trigger processes to wake you up.

I found high strength Omega 3 a great help in stabilising my moods, moreso than Duloxetine for me. I've seen some studies where 1000mg+ of EPA or DHA (can't remember which) showed promising results in depression. At worst, it's healthy oil for heart & brain anyway! I dosed at about 800mg+ and saw great results in mood, not in anxiety though.

You could also look at vitamin D issues as they play a big part in SAD. SAD lightboxes are known to work for that so may help with this? Just be careful though because if you suffer from mania, they are known to be contraindicated. GP's can prescribe lightboxes I believe.

Morning Terry, the only thing that has got me through this is excerise. I have mostly been cycling no matter how bad I've felt. Did about 15 miles yesterday all while feeling completely out of it but the evening was a lot better.

I will have to try this oil then, I had been having some Cod liver oil prior to this but am struggling to swallow the capsules lately. Have you found anything minimises your anxiety?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information