Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When support is most needed

When support is most needed

I wanted to raise a concern regarding support given to members who have a diagnosed health issue.

A short while ago a member was diagnosed with breast cancer. Sadly she received very little support and has not been online for a while. She was very frightened but also very brave.

I thought it a shame that she couldn't have had the same support as people who fear a major illness. I think that with the sheer volume of posts on the HA board it is inevitable that cases like this lady's can be overlooked to a certain extent.

I think that people can back off from diagnosed illnesses because they are terrified of becoming ill themselves but maybe there are other reasons?
    Are diagnosed and frightened members afraid of posting on the HA board in case they alarm those anticipating a diagnosis?

Re: When support is most needed

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I wanted to raise a concern regarding support given to members who have a diagnosed health issue.

A short while ago a member was diagnosed with breast cancer. Sadly she received very little support and has not been online for a while. She was very frightened but also very brave.

I thought it a shame that she couldn't have had the same support as people who fear a major illness. I think that with the sheer volume of posts on the HA board it is inevitable that cases like this lady's can be overlooked to a certain extent.

I think that people can back off from diagnosed illnesses because they are terrified of becoming ill themselves but maybe there are other reasons?
    Are diagnosed and frightened members afraid of posting on the HA board in case they alarm those anticipating a diagnosis?
    Great question/topic. I have been very wary not to talk in detail about my specific health condition. It's a heart condition which would be a trigger for many and I didn't want to make anyone take to google to check their own symptoms. It is a real concern I think, at least it has been for me.

In some ways I do think it is challenging for people with genuine diagnosed conditions to coexist with HA suffers... or at least, I think it requires a degree of awareness and sensitivity... When I first came here and zero'd in on the HA forum, I did quickly realise that it wasn't text book HA that I had in the way that many on the forum have.

I think alot of the problem is that people with HA are too scared to hear health problems. It just adds to their own concerns.

Health Anx is awful and debiltating at times.

I can understand why those with HA feel the need to stay away from a post with diagnosed issues, i for one, will always try and support the poster, its part of my job and what i deal with. But i totally understand when you just don't feel strong enough to support others when you are in a bad state yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Great question/topic. I have been very wary not to talk in detail about my specific health condition. It's a heart condition which would be a trigger for many and I didn't want to make anyone take to google to check their own symptoms. It is a real concern I think, at least it has been for me.

In some ways I do think it is challenging for people with genuine diagnosed conditions to coexist with HA suffers... or at least, I think it requires a degree of awareness and sensitivity...
    I think talking about a diagnosed health condition on an anxiety forum is totally justified, Frenchy as a little "exposure therapy" may not be a bad thing but I realise that this is a very contentious issue and is of course entirely down to you as to whether you choose to do so.

If its on the HA board unless people constantly help to bump it, it's going to get ploughed under in days. Some of the other boards are also quiet by comparison so if it's one of them, is it getting seen? I know I've seen one person with a skin cancer that only received a few people's attention and it was on a quiet board. Another newly diagnosed with Parkinson's who never got many sadly.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 25-07-15 at 04:24.

I also really felt for her. I have HA but felt strong enough to read and support her (if we are thinking of the same person, which I think we are). I may not have years ago though. But it is a shame, I wish more people would have bene there for her. I have been wondering how she's doing lately.

When I had my heart attack and crohns flareup nearly 7 years ago, I did tell the admins but I asked that no-one posted on here about how serious it was because I nearly died and I didn't want to worry members!

I thought that by making it real then people would freak out so I kind of protected members from it.

I did eventually tell people when I was out of hospital and on the mend

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Obviously, those that know me here know I openly post about my heart attacks and cancer. It's not to alarm anyone but to reassure as 99.9% of the time, the worries many have about these things are unfounded. Even not being a medical professional I can say with assurance it's not sinister just based on experience. I've yet to be wrong thankfully!

I know of only a very few who's fears became reality and oddly enough, when faced with that fear, their anxiety took a back seat. Upon healing physically, they found they also healed mentally as well. Their anxiety, while still present, was far less of a burden than it was before.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Apart from a few blips my anxiety took a back seat when I was dealing with real health issues.

I still have problems now but I don't face regular panic attacks etc cos I realised that life is too short to worry about things that aren't real as such.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Personally if I was diagnosed with a sickness I wouldn't come here and share it. I know for me hearing about someone dying or being seriously ill is a major trigger and the same is true for most HA suffers. I would instead join a group that pertain to my illness for example if it's breast cancer a breast cancer forum is what I would seek out. I wouldn't want to cause panic in any one and would instead prefer to talk to individuals that is going thru or has been through the same as me.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information