Thread: Taking another med for anxiety alongside Escitalopram

Taking another med for anxiety alongside Escitalopram

Hi, I take 20mg of Escitalopram and was taking Amitriptyline 50mg alongside this for migraine/anxiety. I have been told not to take these together (because of potential heart wave problems when taken together) and wonder if anyone else takes a drug alongside Escitalopram for anxiety that is not addictive?

Re: Taking another med for anxiety alongside Escitalopram

Hi,

There is an interaction between the 2 but it is classed as rare but you can be more suspectible if you have certain cardiac issues already.

This is what it says on Drugs.com's interaction checker (NOTE: I have not included the Serotonin Syndrome risk which is rare, but your GP would have known that and decided this is the best treatment for you and would monitor you)

You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone.

So, if this is something your GP has just mentioned, is it an issue given it was already known and if it's the right treatment, can he/she monitor it? (as long as you don't have a cardiac issue that could put you at risk)

Thread Information