Thread: Unsure/worried about starting antidepressants.

Unsure/worried about starting antidepressants.

Hi everyone,

My names Emma and I'm 18 years old. I have GAD and health anxiety and have been battling for several years now. My anxiety is very on and off so I'll have several bad months, a few weeks break and then back again.
    I've had CBT twice now, both times I've been recommended seeing the doctor r.e antidepressants to help alongside therapy .
    The problem is I've heard so many horror stories that I really don't know what to do. I am struggling to beat this and I don't know where to go from here but at the same time I'm scared about bad side effects and becoming addicted etc.
    I've got an appointment with the doctors to discuss but I want people's opinions before I go.

Thank you everyone

Re: Unsure/worried about starting antidepressants.

Honestly, I was afraid too but years of therapy only helped me so much. I also got really depressed and that was the kicker. Both times I have been on lexapro it has helped me so much. The side effects can be a pain, but once you get through it - and you will get through it, they do pass - it is so worth it. If you have a bad reaction, you can always get off them.

Also SSRIs are not addictive. It's the benzos, such as ativan, xanax, etc that are addictive.

I never reacted well to antidepressants whereas I have heard others who have been able to do more since taking theirs. It's worth keeping your eyes open regarding them, yes you could get side effects, yes your body could become dependent on them, and they may not help at all, but they can also make your symptoms less severe which can help the therapy become more affective. Also, remember that they can taken 2-4 weeks to work.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

I was so terrified for so long - 2 years I was recommended them by various medical professionals! I was mainly so scared of feeling sick and feeling weird and spaced out. I was certain id have every single bad side effect listed!

I also did not ever imagine they could work. It was sort of like a last resort for me as nothing else was working and I was losing too much weight, miserable, scared of leaving my house, ruining my relationships etc. This was also after a year of therapy including 4 months of intensive therapy.

I have sertraline and they have given me some breathing space so I can now actually work on all the cbt stuff I couldn't face before. I've made so much more progress and I can't believe I waited so long.

I was so scared I cut up the pill and took a tiny piece of it until I got used to it! And all it did was make me sleepy and hungry for the first week or so, and it comes back when I take more. And the first few days I took it, I actually sat and waited to feel sick, feel weird and generally expect the worst. But nothing happened!

Thank you very much for your replies.
    I guess i won't know until I try can I?! I've been very bad over the last few months and this is really my last resort and thing can't get much worse.
    Thank you xx

Unfortunately it is something you need to find out yourself even though that is a very scary thought! Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Thread Information