Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi I'm new and really struggling atm

Hi I'm new and really struggling atm

Hello all
    I am new to this forum and just wanted advice. My name is Andy, I am 21 and live in southern England. I feel like I have had anxious thoughts for years. A few months ago I was diagnosed with anxiety panic disorder. I was prescribed 50mg sertraline for two months.mthis medication made me always tired and sick. I was switched to 20mg citalopram. I'm currently signed off work and have been on these tablets for two weeks. The anxiety has blown up my once very happy relationship and it really does not look like it's going to work out now. This weekend has been terrible, the panic attacks just will not stop. I can't get the idea of killing myself and ending it out of my head, it's getting to the point that I'm terrified of leaving the house in case I get a panic attack. It took a toll on my job as I couldn't manage with it all. A lot happened and caused me to have a breakdown. I'm an absolute mess right now, I used to have so much confidence and be so happy. I feel so alone and like an absolute failure. And there's such a stigma with anxiety, nobody understands me. I just want my old life back.

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya Andysch and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: Hi I'm new and really struggling atm

I would really like to make some friends to chat with. I am really struggling and feel alone

Hang in there Andy,

Most of us on this Forum have been as low as you feel now at some point or another.

For me, it was little over a month ago that I had a complete mental breakdown and was in the depths of despair. I felt like there was absolutely no way I was going to be able to get out of this vicious cycle of anxiety, panic and depression. Although I'm still far from where I once was in terms of 'normality', I've forced myself to take small steps in an attempt to claim my life back.

I'm still having quite a few bad days but I can now start to see a light (although dim) at the end of the tunnel in my road to recovery. I know I am far from well, but I'm also far from the wreck that I was 4 weeks ago.

I wish you the very best as I know firsthand how difficult it is. You mentioned wanting a friend or somebody to relate and talk to. Feel free to message me. I'd be happy to have a chat. Keep fighting, Andy. It will get better, I promise you that.
    Last edited by Zim; 26-07-15 at 22:50.

Hi there Andy
    I have also been there, exactly how you are now, it really does feel like you will never get better and like you are so out of control that you might do something "silly".
    I got better. You WILL get better. Nothing lasts for ever. Have had any form of therapy?
    You CAN and WILL get better. Sending you hugs x

Hi Andy,

I'm so sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time. You're not alone - we're all survivors on this forum, in various stages of progress and healing; and you're definitely not a failure, the brain and mind can get ill just like any other part of the body. I've been in the abyssic depths of despair you're in now and, whilst I still have a long road ahead on my journey to recovery (but that's just me - my problems are complex and deep rooted), I'm much better now than I thought I'd ever be. Hang on in there, it does get easier and you will get better The darkness will pass.

My CBT therapist told me citalopram is the drug of choice for panic attacks and anxiety, so maybe you need to take it a bit longer before it takes effect. Initially antidepressants can make anxiety worse, but this should pass. Having said that, there are other medications you can take to take the edge off the anxiety and panic attacks further - propanolol and citalopram are often prescribed together- so maybe your GP can help you more...just a thought!

Please feel free to contact me, no-one should suffer on their own. My heart goes out to you.
    Hope you're feeling better very soon!

Louise

Thank you so much for your very kind replies, I am so touched by you all. I've been going through this for too long and I can't begin to tell you how much it means to finally meet people who understand.

Hi Andy,
    I joined a few days ago after having a few panic attacks which knocked me for six. The support on this site is unreal; everyone is lovely and helpful & even within a few days I look forward to logging on & reading people's stories & seeing if I can maybe help them at all in any way.
    You WILL feel better, maybe not tomorrow or next week, but you have made the first step to recovery by joining this forum & sharing how you're feeling. I personally feel much better by talking to other people who have been/are going through the same stuff as me. If you ever want to chat just message me.

Hi Pepperpot

Quote Originally Posted by EbonyNightfall View Post
    Hi Pepperpot
    Hello

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information