Thread: Whats this "phobia" and whats the cure

Whats this "phobia" and whats the cure

Hi

I am diagnosed with severe mental illness, but I hope to get better by dealing with my quirks and anxiety on forums like this.

Ever since childhood I've had fears of doctors tests. I couldnt let the doctor check for throat infections without gaging. Up until recently I would gag from pills.

Im very afraid of all sorts of medical procedures I guess. I did have a colonscopy which didnt freak me out alot. But now they want to make a test where I might pass out. I never had syncope, but it scares the hell out of me.

Is this fear rational and should I tell them not to provoke a syncope?

And also on another note, does anyone know why I seem so sensitive to stuff like swallowing pills or blood pressure readings? Im making great progress, but I would like to know why.

Re: Whats this "phobia" and whats the cure

I'm not sure what it's called but I have it too lol

I really don't like any medical procedures ._.

Especially the ones that feel uncomfortable or painful - I definitely have a big phobia of this.

The doctor even prescribed me some benzodiazepines to try to get through some of them.

I wish I could help... but they're deffo scary and you actually seem to cope with them better than me lol

Re: Whats this "phobia" and whats the cure

Hi,
    I have this same problem.
    I've experienced syncope because I'm one of the lucky people who pass out when getting their blood taken.
    Don't be afraid if you really need this test, you mught not even pass out, and basically what happens with syncope is everything starts to get black and at that point you can put your head down between your legs and that stops you from actually fainting, that's what I have to do after a blood test. You'll be just fine

Thread Information