Thread: my bad CBT experience

my bad CBT experience

Hi, just wanted to share my CBT experience as I've been left feeling quite disheartened. Was referred by my GP and given one to one CBT in only 2 weeks so I was quite happy about this. I had 8 or 9 sessions. My main issue was using the tube and I made myself use it all the time as I was told to. However the problem became worse and the attacks more frequent. Also, had to sit an exam and was very afraid of feeling trapped in the room, my therapists advice was 'see what happens, you might be so focused of the exam that you're ok'. That wasn't helpful so ended up taking a valium so I could relax and concentrate. It just seemed pointless asking advice. Each week the therapist gave me no new information and basically just told me to keep doing what I'm doing.

Each session I had to fill out a progression form. At the end of the 8/9 weeks, I had clearly gotten worse. Nevertheless, she said it was our last session as that was all they were allowed to do. She then said she thought social anxiety was the cause (I really don't think it is) and told me to read a book on social anxiety from the library. It was though they had just invented this as a cause to come to a satisfactory conclusion. I asked, 'so what now?' And she just told me to keep trying. I felt all those weeks were a massive waste of time. I then was made to fill out a satisfaction survey, while the therapist watched me do so, so I couldn't even write how disappointed I was!

Has anyone else had such a bad experience? Did you put it down to a bad therapist and try again, or cbt just not being for you?

Re: my bad CBT experience

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=171420

You can see in there that several people are finding they are having the same experience.

Mine was very much like yours too. I learned very little and it was just more like someone to talk to every few weeks. This is why I believe we are being shortchanged with watered down therapy under the IAPT network.

Thread Information