Thread: Swallowing Obsession and Aspiration

Unhappy Swallowing Obsession and Aspiration

For nearly three months now I've had to deal with something that has been driving me crazy nearly every single day. It started when I was eating a burger one day and noticed that my swallowing felt...different. Almost like a numbing sensation in my throat. Each day afterward I began to think about it more and more often, which in turn has caused me to obsessively swallow to the point where my mouth has almost no saliva. My obsessiveness over this has truly begun to ruin my life.

I have not gone a single day since then where I haven't thought about my swallowing. Every doctor I've gone to has diagnosed me with GERD, or thinks I'm absolutely insane. The scariest part to me is the fact that I've choked on food several times because of this issue and I can't even drink water without having a coughing fit. I even drank a little bit too much one weekend and accidentally inhaled some vomit which I was thankfully able to cough out immediately.

I don't know why I've waited this long to get this off my chest but I've been a wreck ever since then. From the moment I wake up I think about my swallowing and how weird it feels. I really don't know where to go from here but I could really use some help.

Re: Swallowing Obsession and Aspiration

Maybe you have ocd now? Are you hyper aware of your swallowing? Do you have repetitive behaviors you perform in order to alleviate the anxiety of the possibility of feeling this?
    Even if you dont have rituals you should look up all the different forms of ocd because there are ones that are more about obsessiveness and dont have rituals i think.
    Ocd with swallowing is something I suffer from... I was diagnosed with it 7 months ago.

You need to find a completely different way of eliciting help from a doctor maybe? If the thing u tell them each time convinces them you are crazy then make sure damn well you stop explaining it that way.

Try to look for doctors that deal with mental issues because this seems less like a physical issue and more like a mental obsession/fixation over something coupled with anxiety that you will never stop fixating on it.

In all honestly... this sounds exactly like ocd.
    sensimotor ocd help link
    beyondocd(dot)org/expert-perspectives/articles/when-automatic-bodily-processes-become-conscious-how-to-disengage-from-sens

Thread Information