Thread: Difficulty swallowing, feels like someone is strangling me

Difficulty swallowing, feels like someone is strangling me

At the beginning of may I got a sore throat that made it feel like my throat was closing. They diagnosed sinus infection (I really didnt have any symptoms of this though....) and gave me antibiotics. Feeling didnt go away. Then my dr diagnosed clogged salivary gland, gave me iodide. Symptoms still didnt go away. Got an infected wisdom tooth, had all of them removed (I was awake so no intubation etc) and the oral surgeon said the infection was causing this feeling. The feeling continued after having the teeth removed, then he said it can last up to three weeks. Well now its a month later and its still not gone! (the tooth holes are healed and just fine too)

The feeling is in the top of my throat/neck area, in the area under my chin, under my tongue. Sometimes I get a sore throat too. Sometimes it gets much worse. Feels like:

*Swallowing needs more effort and makes the feeling even worse
    *Feels like im trying really hard to make a double chin, like a pressure under my chin/tongue feeling
    *sometimes it feels like my throat is closing or I have a sore throat

Now Im having an ultrasound done of my thryroid and lymph nodes etc but the feeling is at the top of my neck in the throat area not where my thyroid is.....I HATE this!!! Im so scared they wont find a problem and so there will be no way to fix it.

Is this going to go away ever?? What could it possibly be? Im not even scared about what it could be, I just want a solution.

EDIT: What other tests can be done? So far Ive had:

*I dont know what its called put an ENT put a tube through my nose and down my throat
    *Getting ultrasound on lymph nodes, thyroid, all that soon
    *Blood tests for thyroid and adrenal glands, hormones, ptuitary gland, and everything else you can check with that
    *Heart and lung tests all kinds they're fine

I want them to do a barium swallow. I feel like my doctor isnt taking me seriously. Just because somebody has anxiety doesnt mean they cant have an actual problem >:[
    Last edited by iwanttofeelbetter; 02-08-15 at 19:24. Reason: I forgot a question

Re: Difficulty swallowing, feels like someone is strangling me

Has anyone ever suggested it could be globus histericus? Do you know about this and do you think the symptoms fit in? X

Quote Originally Posted by sial72 View Post
    Has anyone ever suggested it could be globus histericus? Do you know about this and do you think the symptoms fit in? X
    No they havent, I checked it out and for me it does not feel like there is a lump in the throat. It doesnt feel like something is stuck in my throat, the problem is more with the area under my tongue/chin but also makes swallowing feel difficult.

Yes, I understand, I have this on and off. I putting down to the muscles in my neck and throat being tense. When I worry about it it tends to stay for days and if I don't worry and just ignore it, it seems to only last a couple of hours x

Quote Originally Posted by sial72 View Post
    Yes, I understand, I have this on and off. I putting down to the muscles in my neck and throat being tense. When I worry about it it tends to stay for days and if I don't worry and just ignore it, it seems to only last a couple of hours x
    Its started making the muscles in my neck tense so its even worse argh! I just feel like my doctor isnt taking me seriously, because they think someone with anxiety cant have any real problem they put it off. He didnt even look inside my mouth at the last visit....

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:59 ----------

I hope this feeling goes away for everyone.

I think for the people who have had all tests and know its from anxiety, maybe could heat packs help? Or some kind of throat massage?

What are any other tests I could have done to figure this out? My ultrasound of thyroid and all the glands comes back today. I dont know what else I could do besides a barium swallow?

Thread Information