Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paroxetine

Paroxetine

I saw the Panorama program on TV last week about Seroxat and having been on this medication for a couple of months now, it kinda worried me a bit.

I'm on 30mg currently, I haven't had too many side effects off it, except for headaches, insomnia and shakyness and stragely, cold / numb feet. All of these could be due to my condition I guess, but it doesn't really seem to be doing much to help me mentally. I think it might be helping a bit, but nothing dramatic. I'm tempted to ask my doctor if I can try increasing to 40mg next time i see her.

Wondered what other people's experiences of Paroxetine are?

Jim

Hi Jim

If you put the word "Paroxetine" in the search section at the top of the screen, im sure you will find lots of useful information about the drug.

Love

Andrea
    xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

hi jimbo
    ive been on and off this for about 10 years...it has had a lot of bad press and my gp wanted me to switch...hoever i went and saw 2 pyschaitrists and they both said the same...prozac/seroxat are the oldest ssri's ... they make you feel worse before you feel better and high publicity is mainly down to the USA which has had the most users..and the withdrawel is tough....BUT ..now a few other SSRi's are now reporting same problems etc...
    Basically they both told me that Seroxat is still one of the best meds on the market for panic & anxiety and to remain taking it until I felt well....
    I hope this helps...I avoid all seroxat publicty...you'll only ever hear about the basd things in all meds...as its good television....Prozac & seroxat still remain the most common ssri hence the fact the minority that experiences problems will be larger than other users...

Thanks mooks, makes me feel a little better about it. I tried Prozac and had a terrible time with that personally. I guess it is different for every person.

When I first started taking it, after changing from Citalopram, it seemed to have no effect whatsoever at 20mg. I felt that I may as well have been taking nothing at all, no difference, no side effects, nothing. It's only now I have increased to 30mg it seems to at least be doing something. But yes, I did definately feel worse during the first 2-3 weeks at 30mg.

I think what is bothering me is that now it seems to be having a positive effect, it's not massive. So I think maybe a higher dose might work better, but everyone always talks about the withdrawal being nasty. So it kinda puts me off being on a higher dose considering I will probably have to come off it one day possibly.

I'll talk to my GP about it on wednesday so I'll update what happens.

Jim

I have taken this drug for 8 years and stopped taking it 21 months ago. It worked for me for a while but then stopped I was not prepared to increase the dose as I had educated myself on ssri's so stopped with my docs help.I am still trying to cope with the withdrawl problems.Everyone is different but all I would say is do some research then make your own mind up based on the facts.

squirrel are you now med free?? I have withdrawn a few times hard but only took a few months...I think main prob is that they all have this issue but mainly we get confused between withdrawel and anxiety..i know mine was the fact anxiety came back...it always does

yes mooks I am still drug free, bad anxiety is a withdrawl symptom.many people mistake it for their old symptoms. However all these medications do is mask symptoms you have to deal with the original cause.

I saw my GP and she said that she thought it was best to wait another couple of weeks before increasing the doseage again as it can take up to 6 weeks before any increase takes full effect.

I'm not so worried about taking them cause I think they are helping me to think more clearly at least. They are definately helping with the depression, it's just the anxiety and panic attacks I have to get control of now. I'm hoping when I get an appointment for therapy that will help a lot too.

Hopefully the withdrawal when I do eventually have to stop won't be so bad, I didn't have any problems when I changed from taking Citalopram. My GP says some people get withdrawal effects and some don't at all.

Jim

Re: Paroxetine

Well, I saw my psych today and because it's not helping with the anxiety and panic, I'm going to be coming off it and going onto Venlafaxine.

Hopefully because I've only been taking it for a few months any withdrawal effects won't be as bad as some people say.

...still waiting for my therapy apt...

Re: Paroxetine

Hi Jimbo. I was on Paroxatine for about 10-12 weeks, and due to several things I stopped taking them.

Against the advice of my Doc, I just stopped immediately, and had no adverse affects. To be honest, the reason I stopped was because they were making me much much worse. (I was arrested twice whilst on them for my own protection).

I obviouslt wouldn't advise you to just immediately stop, but obviously follow the Docs advice on withdrawing from them.

Just wanted you to know that it was fine for me.

Hope the same applies to you.

Best Wishes,

Ross

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information