Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

Has anyone tried cognitive behavioural therapy? I'm booked in to see a psychiatrist in a couple of weeks. Panic attacks are really getting me down, I hate being anywhere that's even remotely far from home. I never go out by myself. I'm on beta blockers, and they worked at first, then they came back, and it was more of a shock. I get really distressed when I get one, bursting into floods of tears and I panic even more about getting home. I tried rescue remedy, but it didn't make much of a difference.

Hi I have mass anxiety witch leads to panic attacks when I am far from home or (Cant get back easily) I am good for about 100miles or so because I know Home is only a short car journey away. I havn't been on holiday for 12 years. Does this sound like your symptoms??

Yes it does, only I can only just manage going into town, but only with someone I know and trust. I suffer with constant anxiety at a low level, and when a panic attack comes on, i get all symptoms going. Palpitations, unable to breath, vertigo, stomach cramps, and sense of impending doom. Straight after the panic attack I feel really low, and just start crying. I hate buses, and have to get taxis everywhere, but I still feel panicky. It's just becoming an absolute nightmare

Dont worry your so not alone. I can't do public transport, I think it's the whole 'not in control thing!!' at least with a taxi you can get out when you want. My panic attacks I discribe as follows : It's like when someone makes you jump, you get that momentary short sharp burst of fear and then it's gone but with my panic attacks that fear seems ever lasting!!

Do you know what triggered your attacks?

I know what you mean, and the sort of nervous fear you get before an interview or test that carries on all the time. I had them even when I was young, but not severe. I've had them for around 9 months now, then they disappeared for a while, now they're back even worse than before. Wouldn't it be amazing if there was a miracle cure?

Yes it would be amazing and I like to think that there is one out there it's just a case of finding the right one for you. My attacks and anxiety come and go (a few weeks here a few months there) even though ive had it for 12yrs this year 2007 is the first time I have decided to have a real go at dealing with it. I didn't ever realize it was so common until a few months ago when I did some research on the web. I thought I was on my own, Thought I was going mad but now I know that there are other people out there with the same condition and that in itself is a huge comfort. I havn't done CBT but I hope it works for you, If not don't worry there so many different things to try!

Hi Tal

Totally understand how you feel Out of the comfort zone and we panic more than we have before. But you still try like i did. I am so much better now but i panic if driving on a motorway big style because i just cant turn of when it suits me. Its accepting that at times we cant control or dictate how we cope.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

It's really encouraging learning from people like yourselves and how you're controlling it. I'd never thought I'd ever look forward to seeing a therapist lol I'll let you know how it goes.

That great and CBT really helped me. It made me understand my thoughts and made me realise i was human and wasnt going mad.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

If it's any comfort im off to see a therapist next monday for the first time!!! will exchange notes with you when im done ! ! !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information