Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CSP/trichotillomania

CSP/trichotillomania

Hi all

Just wanted to know if there is anyone here who picks their skin/pulls hair out? This is a fairly 'new' thing for me, but I feel really isolated as I am so ashamed of it! Especially the hair thing. I am going to the hairdressers next week and I am dreading it!

I have steroid ointment for my scalp to help with the inflammation and encourage new hair growth, the thing is though is grows back so thick and wiry and sticks up like a tuft lol!

I pick constantly at my right arm. I will scratch away at tiny bumps until they are open sores. It looks horrible and I am going to end up with scars. My fingers are a mess too. I have picked at the cuticles on my fingers (and TOES!!!) so much I have had about 7 or 8 infections this year.

I am getting married next year and I desperately want to overcome this habit.

Does anyone have any good tips/strategies to deal with this?

xxx

Re: CSP/trichotillomania

Hi snowflake,

Don't be ashamed of it, thats a strong negative emotion and you know it will feed low mood and other things like lack of self esteem. It's just another battle of your anxiety to overcome.

A couple of useful resources here explaining treatments:

https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/get-hel...-skin-picking/

http://www.trich.org/about/skin-picking.html

If you have OCD, it could be a symptom of that if it doesn't warrant a separate diagnosis. So, it's definately worth talking to your therapist about this as it could be connected to your current therapy needs & outcomes.

Aside from the more specific treatments mentioned above, work on reducing your overall anxiety levels as with any obsessive problem, this is always a big trigger issue.

If you are sitting about doing this, pick up on it and break up time like that. Find other things for your fingers to be doing, just like an ex smoker has to for a while until they move on.

Try to identify triggers. Whilst the articles explain that is hard, it's easier for us as we are already in the business of identifying our triggers to deal with our anxiety disorders.

I do skin picking. I've done it since early childhood. I have had eczema too throughout most of childhood and my skin in adulthood is always a bit tricky (dry mostly). I have many scars all over. You learn to deal with that aspect. I guess you care less as you get older (I'm 39) and having scars is not exactly as much of a problem to men and especially not in the region I grew up in where they were often a symbol...but not really these types of scars!

I know halfjack has raised a thread about this too this year.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 09-08-15 at 09:39.

I've been a hair puller for years, since I was a child. It got very bad one year when I had a large bald patch on my head and, despite this, doctors refused to help me because of my refusal to take anti-depressants. I still pull my hair but not to that degree any more. My husband is fab at noticing it before I do, by saying 'Leave your hair alone!'.

My only tip is to be aware that you're doing it. When you are aware you have to make a conscious habit to stop. Distract yourself, keep your hands busy, I knit which helps a lot! I'm sorry that there is nothing spectacular in my advice, but it takes a lot of will power.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Just picking up on your point about being noticed, Rennie, I can remember not performing rituals even when I was at my worst because someone was walking behind me. It's like something inside decides the embarrassment would be worse.

I didn't mean that, I used to do it so habitually that I did not realise that I was doing it, I would do it on the bus, in a queue, everywhere. My husband was the only person who told me that I was doing it.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

My daughter had this when she was 10 and developed large bald patches. Both I and her school stopped her every time we saw her picking at her scalp and this worked. She does start up the scalp picking from time to time but is able to stop as she realises the damage she is doing.

Thanks for all your replies everyone. I have picked at my scalp today and its sore now... bunged a load of ointment on it and leaving it alone. I think I am going to try using a stress ball or something and holding it in my hand to squeeze when I get urges to pick my skin or pull my hair out.

I think you are going to have to get your partner to support you through this? Having consistent support is really important and knowing that he is backing you all the way in your fight to manage this condition could help you no end?

Yep you can add trich to my list as well. Fortunately mine isn't that noticeable and few know I do it. But that was a whole different story when it all started when I was in the 5 th grade. It was a nightmare. Anytime I'm sitting watching tv or on my tablet (like now) im doing it. I try to stay busy but as soon as I sit down... I just hate it :(

---------- Post added at 20:18 ---------- Previous post was at 20:16 ----------

Oh and I have naturally curly hair. I noticed when I straighten it im less tempted to pull.

My skin picking is getting really bad. I have an infection in my arm now, I picked a freckle off and it’s gotten infected. It’s a circular ulcer the size of a pea with redness round it around the size of an egg. It isn’t painful and I have been putting antibiotic cream on it.

I am feeling really, really low. I have picked at my fingers, toes, arms and scalp. I am squeezing spots on my face even though there is nothing there to squeeze. I am horrified at how bad it’s got and I am really upset by people asking questions about my scabs L

I’m going out tomorrow night and I want to wear what I have planned and not feel I have to cover my arms. I am just so ashamed of myself for doing this. It’s making me feel like such a failure. I feel like I have to constantly keep touching my skin or picking at it in some way. Has anyone tried wearing a rubber band round their wrist and pinging it when you get an urge to pick/pull? Does this work?

I am still waiting for my next lot of CBT sessions. I also suffer with health anxiety but everything seems to have shifted onto skin picking/hairpulling now. I had my Sertraline increased to 150mg last week so perhaps my skin picking is due to temporary increase in anxiety due to having the increase?

I don’t feel anyone understands. Those who I talk to seem horrified! Especially about the hair pulling.

Could just do with a bit of support today please xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information