Thread: Starting Citalopram

Starting Citalopram

Afternoon all.

Have had depression for some years and coped with psychological help. Thought was doing ok. In last two months I thought I had a reoccurance of vertigo. As it turns out I had anxiety as the symptoms are not too dissimilar. Was feeling terrible etc. frightened to go out. The usual stomach ache. Could not concentrate or sit still. Worried about every sneeze.

It's all familiar.

In any event discussed with doctor and hoping to have CBT soon. Issue is there will be a wait of around 6 weeks even to see someone privately. I reluctantly agreed to take Citalopram in the interim as I was feeling so bad.

Today is day three and boy am I sick from it. I was sick from day 1. Dihorea, fuzzy head, nausea - though no vomiting, frightening hot flushes and a few palpitations. Sweats and panicky.

Had to go to the weekend doctor this morning who said that I should have been started on 10mg daily rather than 20. She also gave me a beta blocker to help with symptoms until they subside. Three hours after taking the blocker I no longer feel as if I am dying which is a relief!! Though I am still feeling quite ill.

The literature says only a minority get side effects but it would seem from various fora that that seems unlikely.

Many people here find them difficult?

Re: Starting Citalopram

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Generally people experience some side effects from them, I started at 20mg and for the first 2 or 3 weeks had terrible nausea, but once that passed I was glad I pushed through it.

Day 5 and the side effects seem to be easing. That and a helpful beta blocker. Still ill but definitely improving. Not as anxious either but I'm told might take another while for that side of things to kick in fully. I shall persist.

I took citalopram for a few months, the first few weeks were hell. Made me on edge and really anxious, I battled through but didn't think it was for me, i then tried amitriptyline but that made me sleepy and fat, so i'm now on sertraline.... Apparently its common to try a few to find one that suits. So keep going and try to stay positive :-0

i was on citalopram and had no side effects. the things your experiencing could still be your anxiety.

Possibly but I wasn't as physically sick before starting the drug. In any event physically improved today but am more anxious!! Bugger!

Day 7. Physical side effects lessening bar the light headediness but I'm anxious as buggery today

Effects you that way it seems so plowing onwards!

Thread Information