Thread: Stopped Venlafaxine and due to start Citalopram! Currently having brain zaps!!

Stopped Venlafaxine and due to start Citalopram! Currently having brain zaps!!

Hiya some of you may have seen my posts a few weeks back regarding Venlafaxine! Well I had an appointment with my psychiatrist on Friday and we have come to the conclusion that the Venlafaxine isn't for me due to horrible side effects! The main problematic one for me was nervousness/excitement and feeling totally on edge which has just aggravated my anxiety!

Anyway I was taking 75mg of Ven and I am now on day two of quitting this drug cold turkey!! The psychiatrist has told me to come off the Venlafaxine for 3-4 days before starting citalopram 10mg (this helped my anxiety in my teens)! I also take mirtazapine 45mg of a night!

Anyway my problem is that I am currently having brain zaps in my head and throughout my body! I'm not too frightened by them as I have experienced then before but they are just really unpleasant! I have been taking diazepam since withdrawing from the Ven to keep my anxiety stable! I'm due to start the citalopram on Tuesday morning and I am just wondering whether once I start the citalopram will these brain zaps subside???

Comments would be much appreciated! Xxxx thank you

Re: Stopped Venlafaxine and due to start Citalopram! Currently having brain zaps!!

I would say they would yes.

I used to get horrific brain zaps on Prozac. It felt like my head would be thrown 90 degrees but it hadn't moved. I even had a brain scan because I didn't know what it was. I think it was because I was missing doses. I'd imagine once you're settled regularly on a new med they'll go again b

Re: Stopped Venlafaxine and due to start Citalopram! Currently having brain zaps!!

Thank you for the reply!

I start the tabs tomorrow! I'm still having the zaps today they feel so weird and horrible it feels in my head but then I can feel a jolt in my chest and body! Is this normal? Xx

You are in withdrawal from the V.

Hopefully they will subside once I start the citalopram tomorrow! X

i got diagnosed with GAD 7 months ago and got supplied with Effoxor which i took every day going from one tablet 35 ml one week and doubled my dose the next week and so on ! My anxiety went within a day i thought it was a miracle never felt so confident. A
    fter a while of taking it i started to go really hyper friends thought i was on crack and i couldn't eat and lost about 2-3 stone.
    I looked in the mirror and said time to get of this !

The last few months i decided to taper down and stop !
    This is now my third day without Venlafaxine and my zaps are getting worse I think I am going insane ! I have managed to get up and go to work and function but i feel flipping awful.
    Yesterday the brain zaps where frighteningly strong sharp shooting pains in my freaking BRAIN down to my fingers and toes, im strong minded and i thought tomorrow i will feel better!
    Today the zaps seem the same but this time the zaps kick in on every eye moment! what can i do to help it??
    im never taking anything like this again and i would strongly advise people not to take this drug its EVIL ! i preferred the comedown of MDMA E's when i was in my youth!!!

THIS DRUG SHOULD BE MADE ILLEGAL !!!

How can the pharmaceutical Chemists legally supply pharmacies and patients with this HORRIBLE drug ???
    worst days of my life, i would rather have my anxiety and depression back than take this horrendous stuff again....help me please

Thread Information