Thread: Asthma sufferers? Terrified of asthma attack

Asthma sufferers? Terrified of asthma attack

I Had childhood asthma and was taking inhalers up until high school when it went away. I was never hospitalised but I did have a few nasty bouts of croup.

My asthma seems to have reappeard in adulthood, at least that's what the doctors keep telling me so I take my preventitive brown inhaler daily and always carry my releaver inhaler around with me.

When I've been sick my asthma symptoms reappear - this usually coincides with a chest infection. So I get wheezy and my chest gets tight and you can see my throat constricting when I breathe in...pretty scary. They usually give me some steroids and then I get on with it.

So anyway yesterday I was randomly feeling quite breathless. Took my releaver inhaler a few times and still felt tight.

Today the same again but it feels a lot tighter and when I breathe in I can see mild constrictions

I'm absolutely terrified of having a fatal asthma attack...

I've youtubed asthma attacks and mine is nothing like the severity of some of those that people have uploaded but I've been worried ever since I read on the nhs website that even having mild asthma can trigger a life threatening attack !
    I wish i had never read that because i can't get it out of my head and now I'm home alone terrified and monitoring my breathing!!!!!

I was able to rationalise before that I didn't have severe asthma and it was probably just a flare up due to weather. But now I've read that, the rationalising has gone out the window....

Re: Asthma sufferers? Terrified of asthma attack

Take your brown preventer, and carry your blue reliever around with you and you'll be fine. It's something we always have to be aware of, but the medication works. With me it always gets worse if I've got cold or hay fever, or sometimes randomly without real reason. If it flares up so the inhalers aren't working so well go to your GP, not out of panic but so you can get it assessed and medicated properly.

Thank you Xx

My MIL has what is considered chronic asthma and has spent many days/weeks in hospital and she has had it most of her life, she's only 87 so we try not too worry LOL
    Hers is helped by going to breathing classes as well to stem the anxiety which seems to accompany hers.

Thread Information