Thread: Help with my childs' anxiety

Help with my childs' anxiety

My teenage child has very high levels of Anxiety , especially the fear of being sick. I myself have Anxiety, mostly related to the fear of being ill.
    It got so bad with panic attacks that my child was off school for about the last 2 months of the term. Tjhere is no way I can currently see him going back full time if at all.
    We have been trying to get help from 2 NHS run groups, but the waiting lists are ridiculous. We cant really afford private, tho if somebody recommended a local one , and it was reasonable , then I would go for it. (we are in Redditch, Worcs)
    The really hard part is my childs relucatance to accept any help either, either from me , or now from a counsellor via the School.

I just dont know where to turn right now. It makes it worse for me watching, as I have lived with this for the last 20 years.

Any help gratefully received.

Re: Help with my childs' anxiety

So , nobody got a child with Anxiety , or have any thoughts

I can relate as my youngest suffers from anxiety and depression. I'm fortunate that she came to me with how she was feeling. Her mother and I made sure she got help. With counseling and meds, she's doing great now!

The difference I see is your child's reluctance to accept help. Other than putting your foot down and forcing them to go, I don't know what you can do other and encourage and support.

Perhaps, since you're challenged with anxiety too, the two of you can look into an on-line self help program and work on it together. It could possibly help while you're waiting for professional services and also create a stronger parental/child bond.

There are several programs out there. Perhaps others can chime in with some info, experience and links. I personally used the free CBT course that was linked here but I don't see it any more.

There are some links and information at http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/help It's worth taking a look and making a few calls and inquiries

Good luck and positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Mr Benn I understand how you feel because my 6 year old has anxiety, it is heartbraking!
    I am weighing up wether to take her to therapy or not, but I probably will.
    How about getting him a book about anxiety from Amazon, there are some age appropiate ones and then he could read it himself if he doesn't wan't help for now xxx

I went through serious school anxiety when I was younger and I could give some advice, but if his anxiety is centered around being sick, I don't really know. I'm usually pretty anti therapy but I think that's the only thing that will get him over such an irrational fear.

Do whatever you can to keep him on a good diet/active lifestyle as things can easily spiral out of control.

Thread Information