Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing my job

Losing my job

Hi,

Looks like I might be heading towards losing my job soon. :(

I worked for a big financial company for 4 years, it's a very stressful job and not something I enjoyed doing, but I was pretty good at my job.

After battleing with depression and anxiety for many years it finally caught up with me and I went through a period of terrible panic attacks at work. Eventually ended up signed off work, diagnosed with pd and I haven't been back for over 6 months now. I still don't feel well enough to go back at the moment, and even thinking about going back terifies me.

To complicate the issue, the company has been taken over by another and they are in the process of integrating the two. This probably means redundancy for some.

My manager has stayed in contact with me and they have been pretty good up until recently. When they last came round to see me, they told me that from June this year my job was going to go through massive changes and I would not be able to go back to the role as they thought it would be too stressful for me to go through all that. They have said that my role will no longer exist as it is now. Which sounds like redundancy to be honest, but they didn't actually say that. They offered me a load of other possistions in other departments in the company but I'm not really interested in them as I would have to totally re-train for them and it would be working with totally new people who I don't know well.

Now it sounds like they are trying to get rid of me before then as they are asking me to have an independant medical assesment with another doctor. They keep talking about dismissing me on "capability grounds" as I'm not capable of doing my job any more.

It all sucks, and makes me feel even worse worrying about it all. Not really sure what I want to do, as I never really enjoyed the job, it wasn't something I ever really wanted to do with my life. But I also know its gonna make it even harder to find another job and go back to work if I do lose it.[Sigh...]

Jim

Jim I am so sorry to hear this and obviously you need proper advice here - to run the risk of sounding a bit Aurthur Scargill do you have a union rep that you could speak to???

Sometimes I think that when we get panic, anxiety etc it's a little nudge to do some reassessing about the way we are living etc. Maybe this is time to have a rethink about doing something that would be more fulfilling for you.

I am currently re-training to be a reflexologist - I want and need to do something rewarding perhaps there is something you've always wanted to do - maybe a hobby or interest you could turn into a job???

Best of luck hun.

Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Thankfully I've got a friend of the family who is a solicitor who's offered to help me out. Which is great, I know I can trust him to help me if stuff does go horribly wrong.

I think you're right in that I do need to think about doing something else with my life tho. I kinda wish I could do something more creative rather than pushing paper and numbers all day.

I've never really had any clear idea of what I wanted to do with my life tho, and just coasted along trying to do what felt right at the time.

I think I'm just going to hold out and see what happens with work. I guess I just need to concentrate on getting well at the moment rather than worrying about it all so much.

Good luck with the reflexology, I could make some sort of joke about smelly feet but that might be considered rude, lol.

Cheers,

Jim

Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Hi Jim

Sorry you are having work issues, Sounds exactly the same sitution as I am going through at the moment, I have been off work for 12 months with Anxiety and PA's along with depression,

My empolyer also have discussed with me my ability to work due to capability, My therapist supported me with an excellent report to make clear that in line with HSE guidelines all employers need to make the work enviorment a safe place and if they have contributed to the stress in any way need to work with you to introduce you back into the work place,

I am due to start back on Friday, on a phased return, Initally 3 hours per day in a lower grade roll whilst maintaing the same pay, am dreading it to be honest, not sure which way it will go!

On a positive. The past 12 months despite been filled with end less days of dying, heart attack, stroke, .... the list goes on have also changed my outlook on life, The afternoons with my son, walks in the park with the dogs, times I wouldnt have had if I had been stuck behind my desk! This may be the change you need to really do what you want with your life, I spent 17 years working in the same enviroment, working 8am til 6pm and missing out on a lot in life, this could be just what you need to take you life where you want it to be

Good Luck to you

Wendy

JIM, SORRY TO HEAR THAT THINGS ARE NOT TOOGOOD AT THE MOMENT, JUST WANTED TO WISH YOU WELL FOR THE FUTURE AND SENDING YOU HUGS, I,M SURE YOU WILL BE FINE AND HOPE IT WO,NT BE TO LONG BEFORE YOU FIND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.

Thanks for all the advice and kind words,

I had a good chat about it with my GP, who's being very supportive. She said that it's probably best not to worry about making descisions about it at the moment while I'm not well. I might just feel like not going back cause of the way I'm feeling at the moment.

I decided to agree to let them do their medical assesment, at least I'm cooperating with them then. I guess whoever it is will probably come to the same conclusion as all the other doctors I've seen.

Just gotta take my time and try not to worry about it I guess. I'll keep updating what happens here as I'm sure other people must be in the same boat as me.

Jim

Sorry to hear about your trouble at work. Firstly, I think you need to establish what selection criteria they used to select you for redundancy. You might find you have protection under the DDA 1995 (Disability Discrimination Act) on the grounds of mental 'impairment' . If you have union representation, it might be worth running it past them.

Good luck

Kay x

Hold on tight life is a roller-coaster! Your're going through a bad patch. Remember when ONE DOOR CLOSES - ANOTHER ONE OPENS! Pack up your troubles into a bundle and sling them over you're shoulder - open up the new bundle infront of you and see a big change ahead, greet it and smile! This is what I have had to do but the smiling bit has been difficult sometimes. I have retrained in one to one foot practises from Sectretarial! You can do it too - well maybe into something to suit you but there is a solution to the 'little white rabbit syndrome' we all have. It's not easy it's a maze in a jungle. Good Luck Sylvia

SJR

Jimbo

I was made redundant from my job on 26th Jan and it came as a bit of a shock to suddenly have so much time on my hands.

I am trying to work out what career I would like to do next as I too was bored in the job I was in.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information