Thread: Almost as if I have forgotten how to swallow

Almost as if I have forgotten how to swallow

Hi everyone

I don't get this all the time (but in a way that makes it worse as it comes out of the blue when I am not expecting it). First experienced about 6 years ago.

Basically as I go to swallow - that actual point when you do swallow - my body seems to freeze as if it has forgotten what to do next and I am left, for seconds (seems like hours) panicking that I will choke as I can't seem to physically make myself swallow, as if I have become paralyzed. Then it passes. Every time. But it's soooo scary and then I feel I daren't or can't eat.

I know the fact it has been on and off for 6 years hopefully means it's nothing serious but has anyone else had this?

Thanks.

Lynda

Re: Almost as if I have forgotten how to swallow

Hi Lynda

Have suffered with similar bouts of this over about 7 years, and just going through another bout. Somewhat different to yours as my fear is that I'm going to choke, but sometimes this includes a pause before I swallow. Not sure if this helps but, for me I've found that my fear of choking largely goes away if I keep my mouth closed when I go to swallow. I've also found that it's important to keep chewing and not pause and think "now I've got to swallow". If you keep chewing the swallow often just happens. Good luck.

Thread Information