Thread: Elevated ALT level in my Liver results

Elevated ALT level in my Liver results

Hi

I had a routine blood test taken the other day as I have been feeling flu like for so long now and it came back with my liver ALT Alanine aminotransferase level being raised? the norm is between 0-45 and mine was 150!

I am naturally concerned about this - the doc has said he wants me to re-test in 3 weeks. Im 9 weeks pregnant and dont want to feel stressed but I cant help it! Im really scared why the result it so high

Can anyone help me?

Re: Elevated ALT level in my Liver results

Hi Spike, did you ever find out why you had the high ALT? mines high as well

This user was last seen here 12 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman007 View Post
    Yes, this is an old post!! It seems there's a myriad of reasons for elevated ALT, including medications eg non steriodal antiinflammatories. Some autoimmune conditions can cause it too. I was told that elevated ALT is ok as long as the other liver enzymes are normal.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman007 View Post
    Hey Dan, just to help out. I had a high ALT level back in February this year.

I was retested 2 weeks later and they were back to normal. The doc didn't really have an explanation, saying that its 'normally' affected by consumption of alcohol and anti-inflammatories. I wasn't consuming either. However through google I found some possibilities that could affect the ALT enzyme:

1. IBS - I was going through a really bad phase of IBS. Going 3/4 times a day.
    2. Other meds. I was taking my IBS prescription tablets, Colpermin (for IBS), herbal stuff for IBS, and also Immodiums. Quite the daily cocktail.
    3. Muscle damage. A few days before taking my bloods i went to the gym for the first time in months and my body was aching all over. There is info online saying muscle damage can affect the release of liver enzymes, inc ALT.
    4. Viruses. I was also recovering from a cold before taking my bloods, and viruses can affect the enzyme as well.

Hope that all helps. My doc tried to reassure me saying that high ALT is quite common in blood tests so I shouldnt worry, but obviously I did!

Quote Originally Posted by MrLurcher View Post
    Hey Dan, just to help out. I had a high ALT level back in February this year.

I was retested 2 weeks later and they were back to normal. The doc didn't really have an explanation, saying that its 'normally' affected by consumption of alcohol and anti-inflammatories. I wasn't consuming either. However through google I found some possibilities that could affect the ALT enzyme:

1. IBS - I was going through a really bad phase of IBS. Going 3/4 times a day.
    2. Other meds. I was taking my IBS prescription tablets, Colpermin (for IBS), herbal stuff for IBS, and also Immodiums. Quite the daily cocktail.
    3. Muscle damage. A few days before taking my bloods i went to the gym for the first time in months and my body was aching all over. There is info online saying muscle damage can affect the release of liver enzymes, inc ALT.
    4. Viruses. I was also recovering from a cold before taking my bloods, and viruses can affect the enzyme as well.

Hope that all helps. My doc tried to reassure me saying that high ALT is quite common in blood tests so I shouldnt worry, but obviously I did!
    Yes, I think you're right about inflammations in the body either IBS (usually autoimmune) or muscle inflammation.

I've had mine rising and wonder if it's to do with my hip arthritis which has been getting steadily worse but not bad enough for a replacement yet! Also having CFS, IC and IBS (autoimmune conditions), there'd be a lot of inflammation in my body and the elevated ALT and B12 could be reflecting this. I've had an abdominal ultrasound to check out various organs and they're all fine.

Try going to a low carb diet. You'll be amazed at how quickly you can normalize those numbers. Too much sugar and carbs are often the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by BackRoads View Post
    Try going to a low carb diet. You'll be amazed at how quickly you can normalize those numbers. Too much sugar and carbs are often the culprit.
    Good for you, I've also given up alcohol and sugar as well as anti-inflammatory meds.

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    Good for you, I've also given up alcohol and sugar as well as anti-inflammatory meds.
    You'e on the right track! Limiting bread intake (especially white breads) is another big one.

My experience in cutting back on carbs is the same- much improved ALT and cholesterol. Carbs (for some of us at least) bloat the liver, much like a goose being force-fed grain for foie-gras, making it less efficient. More and more medical professionals are acknowledging this and advising accordingly but many are not. It's definitely worth a try.

Thread Information