Thread: Low resting heart rate

Low resting heart rate

Hi, I'm currently really worried about my heart. My resting heart rate is 42 bpm. My doctor sent me to a cardiologist when she saw this, and I've had multiple EKGs and a heart ultrasound. Everything came back normal. I run cross country so I'm running anywhere from 5- 8 miles everyday and the cardiologist said this is probably why my HR is very low. However, I can't stop worrying that it's too low and have been getting anxious during practice worrying about sudden cardiac arrest. I'm constantly worrying about pushing myself too hard out of fear that my heart can't handle it. Is it possible that I could go into cardiac arrest, especially since my heart rate is so low?

Re: Low resting heart rate

You have the resting heart rate of an athlete. Be happy!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

"running anywhere from 5- 8 miles everyday" If you've been doing this for a good deal of time that right there would explain why your heart rate is so low, your heart is strong from all this exercise and there for it doesn't need to pulsate as much to get the blood to cycle around the body, that is all. Just trust your body not to over do it, if you work out too much and feel suddenly faint or like your gonna pass out, then stop for a break have some water and wait it out, nobody will judge you...

When my son was doing cross country moutain biking competitions he had a resting heart rate of below 50 purely due to being very fit. 14 years on and no longer super fit and its back up to 60bpm.

Thank you for your replies. I know it's irrational because I've had it checked out, but I keep reading articles about high school athletes dying from cardiac arrest and I spiral into worry over my heart

My resting heart rate is 43 - 48 usually and I'm nowhere near an athlete.

Your low heart rate is 100% because you're super fit.

people that are fitter like you will usually always have a lower heart rate because your heart is fitter than normal people so it doesn't have to beat as hard as other peoples. When you see the doctor they will take in to consideration the fact that you run a lot, You have seen a cardiologist and had lots of ekg's and an echo which is good it means your ok and your just very fit. my husband who was in the army and still runs a lot has a low heart rate to

Hi, I'm not very fit but try to do a small amount of exercise every day whether that's through a 15 min walk or a 30k bike ride. But not very often, i would say I'm far from being an athlete! My resting heart rate can fall to 54 / 55 bpm. Seriously freaks me out but I've had ecgs etc due to a benign short PR rate and no one has any concerns over it!

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm not so nervous about it anymore, I've managed to talk myself out of falling into the anxiety pit. Thanks again!

Thread Information