Thread: Meeting Room Panics

Meeting Room Panics

Hi All

Just posted on the Introduce Yourself bit and have a look around at the topics and came across a post about fearing going to the hairdressers. I hate going to the hairdressers because my panics seem to be caused by feeling like I can't escape - and it's hard to get up mid cut saying "I need to go the loo..."

Anyhow, apart from movie theatres, buses or trains, my main area of panic at the moment is being in work meetings because of the pressure to be there, paying attention and contributing. I don't wear a watch because then I'm not caught up in counting down the seconds (and then pannicking because only 30 seconds have passed) and I always try and take a note pad and pen so I can scribble, or I write the serenity prayer, or I practise breathing. This last one has been the most effective so far, but even the thought of having a meeting makes me fear having an attack. I have this huge fear that I'm going to lose control of my bodily functions and embarrass myself...and one of my main symptoms is rotten diaorrhea (sorry!).

I just wanted to get an idea of what other people do. And how do people deal with irksome bodily manifestations of panics? How do you make a safe escape route for yourself? I have a major meeting tomorrow in my new job and thought I'd stoke myself up on valerian and maybe fess up that I have "claustrophobia" and may need to leave - but it's a new job and I don't want to "out" myself as a looney...

Thanks in Advance

Like you I find breathing the best
    Phill - Brisbane

Don't believe everything you think.

Hi Phil (and anybody else)

What kinds of things do you say when you need to leave the room and if it keeps happening in meetings with the same people do you tell them you have claustrophobia or anything/divulge any thing at all?

Cheers

(Melbourne)

Hi Pirate

Firstly welcome to the forum. I totally understand how you feel and went through the same myself. It is something that we cant control the time on, we cant just get up and say i cant do this, well we could but that would make us feel worse. I always looked at how i felt as it was claustaphobia but not in a small space, it was someone that was dictating the time they spent on my hair, when really i wanted just to get up and go freely when i felt i couldnt stand it anymore.

Yeah i could of but then something inside wants to fight it and not give in. So know how you feel.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

I usually just excuse myself and sometimes find a place for a smoke and a bit of deep breathing.Since I've been on Lexapro I don't have the prob so much.
    Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

Thread Information