Thread: Old friend awkwardness

Old friend awkwardness

Last night I was going to the shop with one of my friends and she asked if it would be okay with me if we pick a boy up from his parents house to take him home, of course I said yes because the boy was my bestfriend in school so I felt comfortable around him. I hadn't seen him in a while so was nervous and when he got in the car my throat went dry and I felt panicky so I didn't say anything and neither did he. Luckily my friend can speak enough for the both of us but he then said he would come to the shop with us. When we was there I couldn't think of anything to say and started overthinking like usual. I didn't think it would be that awkward because we were bestfriends before, I just feel abit upset with myself because I feel like I'm a totally different person now and I hate it! I wasn't really confident when we were friends but I didn't suffer from anxiety then either. I know I could speak to him but I darent I feel so stupid and that he might feel like I don't like him anymore or something like that! I just can't stop thinking about it! I spoke to my friend who was driving about it afterwards and she said it did feel awkward :(

Sorry about how long this is I just want people's opinions :-/

Re: Old friend awkwardness

Well for a start
    "I didn't say anything and neither did he"
    Im not sure you should feel the burden of all the responsibility as its not a prerequisite that you should start the conversation .
    Secondly , i bet he is thinking exactly the same

I have been in a very similar position myself , very good friend from school , best friend i would say , saw them 3 years later in a pub and just didnt know what to say , very awkward , saw them again a few week later , a mere hand gesture and mouthed the words Hi across the room .
    Now i see them regular and we are good friends again
    Things take time i guess and i`m sure if your old friend becomes a regular acquaintance again , you will also start to talk and reminisce again

There's nothing wrong with being nervous. It's not the worst thing to own up to. In fact it's nice when people are honest and reveal things about themselves. Knowing people and people knowing the real you is good.

Do you have his number ? Your mate sounds like she will have it. Text him or get your mate to and just say "hey it's blah blah. Sorry I never spoke to you in the car. I haven't seen you for AGES !!! And after that long and then seeing you I just froze up and didn't know what to say haha. Anyway hope you are doing well. Blah blah"

You can have a bit of peace within yourself then. You know that YOU were nice and friendly. You'd end up knowing what to say next time anyway so it would all sort itself out in the future. "Omg what are you up to now ?" Just start speaking and it'll come. The longer you don't speak the harder it gets.

Sometimes just being honest is best. He ends up understanding you a bit more. You end up accepting yourself a bit more. There's nothing awful about what happened.

Agree with above posts and great advice from Oosh

I know that I probably did just overthink the situation and he probably didn't think anything of it but I just felt so stupid afterwards. I know I could text him but I darent its been ages since we spoke properly and I don't know what to say, I want to... I just feel like I cant :-/

He doesn't even need to reply. It's just about you feeling ok about you and what you did and how you have conducted yourself.

"I'm a good person. I don't want him to feel like I have a problem with him so I sent him a reassuring friendly text. That was nice of me. I'm a nice person for doing that. I can get pretty nervous but I'm ok with people. I explain I can get a bit nervous and they know me a bit more and accept who I am so I accept who I am more because I feel accepted. I don't mind that I get nervous. I still like who I am."

Leaving it as you blanking him in the car says "I'm probably thought of as rude. He probably doesn't like me now. Probably wonders what my problem is. I don't really like myself either to be honest."

Put good vibes out to people, you end up liking and accepting yourself more.

Hi oosh! Thought I would give you an update, I saw this boy again this week and me and my friend ended up at his house, it was awkward at first but once I relaxed we was laughing and talking about old times! And he has messaged me since! I haven't talked about me having anxiety yet but I may tell him in the future! It just feels good to be speaking to my friend again! I just accepted the fact that I may not be as confident as when we were friends before but that doesn't make me a worser person! I know he's still my friend and cares! Thank you for the advice! It helped me accept me!

Great news

Thread Information