Thread: Ven Side effects

Ven Side effects

So I've just taken my 10th Tablet only on 37.5mg extended release, initially the anxiety lessened but yesterday and today I've noticed that I've felt a bit more anxious again and I've had a headache. Also not doing too well with the insomnia.

I went out today and actually felt better and didn't have the normal panic/jelly legs I'd been having but just wondered if the headaches and anxiety are normal start ups. Also last night felt really nauseous and had stomach cramps but they are better today and I'm making sure I'm eating well today as yesterday didn't eat much which probably didn't help with the stomach issues!

Re: Ven Side effects

Hello, Munchlet!
    Re: increased feelings of anxiety, yes, normal! You see, the serotonin which is what makes us feel calmer, is being kept in our systems longer because the drug stops the receptors from absorbing it away. As a "fail safe", when the brain gets the message that this reuptake has been blocked, it stops allowing the release of any more. This creates a stronger sensation of anxiety at first, until things balance out and the cells begin releasing more serotonin again.

During this time, the symptoms we associate with anxiety, especially the gastric symptoms, knots in the stomach and so on, occur because some 90% of our serotonin receptors are in our gut! It is sometimes referred to as our second brain, for this reason. Headaches are normal too. It is safe to take acetaminophen, I do. Constipation is likely, a gentle laxative can help. Ginger in the form of ginger ale or biscuits, or some soda crackers is good for stomach upset. If you can wait until evening to take it, a travel sickness tablet can help with that nausea (and dizziness), and will have the added bonus of helping you fall asleep.

The reason you are feeling all this now, when initially you were feeling better, is that there is that little bit of lag time now as your brain is trying to figure out when to go ahead and not only slow the absorption of your naturally-occurring serotonin, but also to release more. It won't be too, too long, and once you are at your optimal dose and that has settled in, you will sail along with no more side effects. Take your time to get there, slow and steady wins the race! . Meanwhile, yes, eating well is absolutely the ticket!
    Marie xx

Thanks Marie, really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I've taken some paracetamol for the headache which seems to have done the trick and also had a nap today, not ideal as I'm not sleeping great at night but figured I need to get my sleep somehow.

Appreciate your experience in this, it's so hard to know what to expect when starting a med for the first time so it's great that you have so much knowledge on ven to share.

thanks again

I know with some SSRI's like Citalopram, there is a certain Serotonin receptor that they interact with initially that is known to cause nausea. It might be worth seeing if that is found with Ven too because for Citalopram it recommended taking the dosage with food to reduce this reaction.

What Terry is saying also makes sense. By all means, take with food! I found that at one point early on, I had no appetite, but would at least have some fruit and ginger biscuits from time to time. I needed something more substantial, like a bowl of porridge when taking the ven. More than a year later I don't get that anymore except, briefly, when changing dose. Honestly, I have to say that the good-normal I feel most of the time (and have for the past year) is well worth those first few months of side effects.

They will lessen and come fewer and further apart. Some leave off quite soon, so that you aren't dealing with all of them the whole time, you'll see. Hang in there!

Thread Information